Monday, March 8, 2010

Success and Spring

This morning I had Nadia sit on her potty while I gave her milk to drink. She drank about 3-4 sippy cups of milk and still it took her 3.5 hours until she peed. I couldn't believe it took that long! I was sitting on the kitchen floor with her the whole time. Part of the time Ian was with us, and part of it he was taking his morning nap in the Nap Nanny (on the dining room table). Nadia and I read books, I fed her apple slices and raisins, she drank lots of milk, we sang songs, and we played with toys. My back was killing me from sitting on the floor that long. I can't imagine she was super comfortable either. I was tempted to give up a few times, but then I didn't want to after having already invested so much time. I was thrilled when she finally peed in the potty for the first time ever! I think she thought she did a bad thing. I worked really hard to celebrate and let her know she did a wonderful thing. I then put some Elmo underwear on her and let her watch some VeggieTales in the family room. Less than 10 minutes later she pooped in her underwear. It wasn't hard to clean up. Once I realized what she was doing, I quickly sat her on the potty, but she was already done. The rest of the morning I had her sit on it for very short periods of time, but she never went again (in her underwear or the potty). Her bladder must hold more than mine does, LOL.

A little before noon I put her diaper on and put her down for a nap. She had been without a diaper for about 6 hours and we only had one very easy to clean up accident (#2). I am grateful for the break during her nap. I wanted her to take a long nap as I am exhausted and hoped to take a nap, but she only slept 45 minutes, and I was nursing Ian for 30 of those minutes. I got less sleep than usual on Friday night and Sunday night, and I didn't get any naps on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I also did most of the driving on Friday and all of the driving last night. After her nap I took off her diaper. I tried to get her to pee many times, but she didn't actually pee until a couple of hours later when we were playing outside. Then after dinner she did pee (a little bit) into her potty. I was so excited! She again was upset when it happened, but I tried to make it a big deal of what a good thing she had done. I took her outside and let her go down the slide 5 times as a reward. Then we came in and I took her up to give her a bath. I turned on the water and started to take off her clothes and realized that while standing there in the bathroom she had peed in her clothes. Maybe the sound of water running is what did it? After her bath I put her in pjs and a diaper. She was without a diaper for about 10.5 hours today and during that time had 3 accidents (one of #2 and two of #1) and 2 successes.

It seems that she has GREAT bladder control. I was pumping the fluids - feeding her popsicles, lots of milk, water, apples, etc. She never had an accident when she was naked from the waist down  - for even 3+ hours at a time! The only time she had an accident is when I put her underwear on. I am open to any suggestions on how to help her this week. It was a tiring day, but I do feel encouraged with the two successes, and at least the clean up of the accidents was REALLY easy. Only one time did anything land anywhere in our house aside from her clothes and that was on linolium in the bathroom. All it amounted to was extra laundry. I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of laundry this week between potty training and washing everything that we took to Maryland to get rid of any cat hair or dander since Paul is very allergic to it and my mom has a cat.

It was a WONDERFUL day to take Nadia outside. I put a new spring jacket on her (reversible coat I got for $5 at JCP last year), and I didn't wear any coat. It was in the 60's. WOOHOO! That's my kind of weather!!! Spring has sprung!!!


Today I joined one of the PBS stations Nadia watches. For $120 we will receive a Curious George stuffed animal and book, 6 handstamps for the local amusement park for May 8 (with a handstamp an adult or child can ride the rides all day), and 6 admissions to Reptiland for April 25 and/or May 2. Nadia gets in free at Reptiland so the admissions would be for adults (such as Paul or I, Grandma, and PopPop) and possibly her cousins Shawn and/or Brandi. We'll also be sharing the amusement park handstamps as at the most we'd use 3 of them. The $120 is a lot less than what it would cost for 6 people to go to these two places. I am excited about putting these events on our calendar! I think Nadia will really enjoy riding the rides on May 8. Hopefully the weather will cooperate that day! I think she'll also like the stuffed animal as she loves monkeys and Curious George is one of her two favorite shows. We've tried quite a few different ones (since Ian has come home) such as Sid the Science Kid, It's a Big World, Dinosaur Train, Dragon Tales, etc. and the only ones she likes aside from VeggieTales (which is her favorite) are Sesame Street (although she really only likes it when she sees Elmo in it) and Curious George. She asks to see "monkey" and she means Curious George. Now if she says "bed monkey" she means she wants to jump on our bed (as in "no more monkeys jumping on the bed).

No comments: