Monday, October 4, 2010

Roll with the Punches

Sometimes I do pretty well adjusting to the curve balls that come my way, and other times I don't. I was rather upset when I found out that Beth wouldn't be babysitting for us any more. Yesterday morning I was just thinking that it wasn't bothering me any more, and then at church Sarah told me she won't be able to babysit for us this Thursday or Friday, and this stirred it all up again. I have my monthly faculty meeting this Friday so I will be on campus 4 days this week. She said she could only help us out on Monday and Wednesday. Had Sarah been our primary babysitter this semester, she would have told us awhile ago that those dates wouldn't work for her due to the Women of Faith conference, but I only gave her the list of dates on Thursday. I got myself really stressed out as I couldn't figure out who could watch them as I thought Paul's parents would be in Virginia this week. Paul said he'll come home by 2:45 (instead of 5:00) on Thursday, and Paul's parents will probably watch them on Friday. My getting all stressed out really helped a lot, didn't it? When will I learn?!?

Well when one is feeling stressed or down, the best thing to do is count one's blessings, right? So here goes:

1. I am thankful for Triple Paste. Ian's diaper rash is almost completely gone. He no longer cries when I'm changing his diaper. I plan on buying a larger container of the stuff in the near future.

2. I am thankful for Robert Edwards, who just won a Nobel Prize today for developing IVF. My kids are 2 of the about 4 million who have been born thanks to IVF over the past 32 years.

3. After the game I was busy cooking as I had invited Sarah and her family over for dinner. I've never seen Nadia so hyper. She was soooooo excited to have them here. I tried a new recipe, which is generally not a wise move to do with company, but it was a hit! On Saturday Nadia had helped me make some Rice Krispie treats, which is what I served for dessert last night. I love cooking with my girl! We all had a really nice time last night. Ryan (Sarah's husband) and Paul seemed to really hit it off.

4. Last night I put Ian down at 7:15. He woke up shortly after I went to bed, and it took Paul 45 minutes to get him back down. He then slept until 4:11am. Even though that was only 40 minutes earlier than when he got up yesterday, I was determined that he would go back down. I fed him and rocked him to sleep. He kept waking up a couple of minutes later. I kept putting him back to sleep, but after he'd been up for an hour, I decided I was going to let him cry. I changed his diaper and put him in the pack n play in our bathroom so he wouldn't disturb Nadia. Thankfully he only cried for 30 minutes. I was afraid it might be longer than that. I felt badly, but I knew his belly was full and his diaper was dry. I also knew he had only slept for 8 hours, which is not enough for an infant. I was VERY glad I decided to let him cry because he ended up sleeping until almost (drum roll, please) 8:00am!!! I think his previous record the past almost 10 months was 6:35am. It wasn't a record in terms of total sleep as he's slept 11 hours total many times, but he did sleep over 10 hours total for the first time in 3 weeks! His naps weren't long today (40 minutes and 30 minutes), but since they took place much later than usual, Ian should stay in a good mood until bedtime.

No comments: