Wednesday, September 14, 2011

AWANA!

I didn't participate in AWANA until I was in fourth grade. I helped out with Sparks when I was in high school and college (Sparks is for K-2nd). Some AWANA programs start as young as 2 years old, but the ones around our area start with Cubbies, which is for three and four-year-olds. The church I belong to has AWANA, but I decided to send Nadia to an AWANA program that's really close to our home on Wednesday nights. It's at the church where she went for her first week of VBS. Tonight was her first night, and she loved it! She kept saying over and over (on the way home and as I got her ready for bed), "I had SO much fun." Madeline, a neighbor girl who is 4 years old, was in her group, which was nice. She came home with an AWANA bag and her Cubbie book. The verses are short enough that I'm sure she can memorize one verse a week for Sunday School and one verse a week for Cubbies. I'm really glad that she's excited about being a part of AWANA this year.

I called another local allergist office today to see if I could get Ian an appointment sooner there. Would you believe their first available appointment was two full months from now? I'll stick with the October 20th appointment at the hospital. I am grateful that when we had the initial diagnosis in May of EE that we didn't have to wait one or two months to see an Allergist!

Ian's nap has been slightly longer than usual the past 3 days. It's been 30-40 minutes each day. Because of that I'm not using the timer because I'm not letting him cry after he wakes up. I did order a nightlight like the one that has helped another little boy who is close in age to Ian. I figure it's worth a try!

Nadia has had trouble napping this week. I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing, but if it isn't, then I guess we've moved to the "quiet time" phase. When she didn't fall asleep on Sunday, I didn't think much of it because that had been happening lately about once a month. However when it happened again on Monday, it got my attention, particularly when she then fell asleep in the car en route to ballet at 3:30pm. She took her usual nap on Tuesday, but today was the third day this week that she never fell asleep. I have stuck with my rule that she has to stay in bed for 2 hours, and she hasn't given me any grief about it. It's quite hysterical to watch and listen on the video monitor. On Monday afternoon I overheard her giving Larry (the cucumber) a time out. LOL! I wonder what Larry did to deserve a time out?

Would you believe my university has been closed all week? That means that over a span of two weeks, the university was only open 1.5 days. The school district where we go for ivf is just going back tomorrow for the first time as their middle school was destroyed by flooding so they had to come up with a plan as to where to put their 6th-8th grade students, and the school district where my university is located is also not resuming until Monday. We've been told if we want to drink water next week while we're on campus, we'd better bring some with us. I've continued to have office hours online and such this week since I don't teach on campus. I have to reschedule a bunch of meetings and appointments though that were to take place this Friday. So far this schedule of teaching two online classes is going very smoothly for me. I wish I could teach online classes again next semester. I'm grateful I could have this schedule for at least one semester. It's working out very well. I enjoy being able to put the kids to bed; something I can't do very often when I'm teaching night classes.

1 comment:

TylerandBrianne said...

Ruth you comment that I might want to email Ian Dr for an intensive program closer to AL. Do you have his email address? Have you ever heard anything about the program in MD- Kennedy Krieger?