Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Six Weeks Old!

Sunday I would have been 36w4d, which is when I gave birth to Nadia - the farthest I've ever made it in a pregnancy. Tomorrow I would have been 38 weeks. This means it's time to start working on getting Oliver off the shield, especially since I received a letter from the insurance yesterday saying that they won't pay for the pump rental. I weighed him today, and he now weighs 4lb 10.5oz, which means he's gained 9 ounces since he was discharged, but they wanted him to gain 16 ounces in that time span. I am dreading what the pediatrician will say about that on Friday when they weigh him. I was hoping he'd weigh at least 5 lbs by Friday, but that seems very dubious right now. The Pediatrician will be wanting him to weigh about 5lb 7oz on Friday. There's no way that will happen no matter how wet his diaper is when they weigh him that morning. I wish he'd consume more milk when I nurse him. The boppy gets drenched with milk every time. He does now weigh a full pound more than he did at his lowest weight. It's hard to believe he's gained 16 ounces over the last few weeks because he still seems so very thin. I don't like seeing him without clothes on. I felt the same way with Ian when he was little.

The first time that Paul's mom held Oliver was on September 4, but I didn't get a picture. The first time Paul's dad held Oliver was on September 15 at Knoebels. My mom is the only grandparent who hasn't held Oliver yet. She's hoping to hold him next week. I did take pictures of both of Paul's parents holding Oliver today. Yesterday Sheri called and said she couldn't help out this week after all because she's having some health issues (blood sugar, blood pressure, etc.). I already thought Paul's parents deserved the "grandparents of the year" award for all their help during the time Oliver and I were hospitalized, but they have continued to come to our rescue the past 16 days. On 9/4 they came to help out when we realized the car bed wouldn't fit in our car, Paul's dad meet me at McDonald's last Wednesday when Sarah said two of the kids she was watching had had colds, and they helped out again today when we found out yesterday that Sheri couldn't help us out as planned. They watched Nadia while I took Ian (and Oliver) to an appointment with his psychologist today. I am very hopeful about the new feeding plan. Paul's dad also took Nadia to her ballet/tap class.
 
The Weego arrived in the mail today (after I left for Ian's appointment) so now I will be able to take all three kids out by myself. Being able to "wear" Oliver means I have my hands available for Nadia and Ian. I am still not sure I'll want to take all three kids to a doctor's appointment, but at least now I know I can go to the grocery store and church and such with the three kids. It will be much easier once Oliver is off the oxygen and apnea monitor, but I am getting better and dealing with that equipment.

No comments: