Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Gimmees


In the past when I've asked Nadia what she wanted for Christmas or her birthday, I haven't gotten much of a response. Her wish list was filled with my ideas rather than hers. This Christmas she definitely understands the concept of a wish list. It has gone from being helpful to an obsession. I don't want her to be greedy. The first thing I thought of was to have her start thinking about what she wants to give others for Christmas. The first three years she didn't give anyone any gifts. Last year she did select gifts at Cubbies for herself, Ian, Paul, and I. That was the first time I opened a gift from her, and it truly was a surprise. She wants to use her money to buy gifts for her family. She has been separating her money into three categories, and she knows one category is for buying gifts for her family.
 
I do want her to learn the value of money and how much things cost, but since I haven't yet started to give her an allowance, she can't be expected to pay for the gifts this year. I told her that I'd take her shopping for gifts for Oliver, Ian, and Daddy and that she and Daddy would get her gift for me. She told me she wants to buy Oliver a new gym, Ian a bike, a pink ring for me, and a big shirt for Daddy. I'll let her pick a shirt for Daddy, but the other items are too expensive. Yesterday she saw me looking online at a necklace and said she wanted to buy it for me. Since it cost less than $20 and I liked it also, I ordered it. I'll give it to Paul so he can have Nadia wrap it. Hopefully she won't find out I ordered it. I finished packing our two shoeboxes today. I wanted to do three, but I only had two shoeboxes. I'll do three next year. Nadia really didn't like seeing me pack toys and things for someone else. Ugh. I tried to explain that this would likely be the only Christmas present this child would receive whereas she's going to receive many gifts. As Christmas draws closer I'll help her make things for people also - crafts as well as baked goods. I want her to learn that it is better to give than to receive, and I'll also emphasize that the best gift of all is Jesus. I definitely want my children to know the true meaning of Christmas! If anyone else has suggestions on how to tame the never ending Christmas wish list, I'm all ears!
 
I have to say today was an exhausting day. Oliver only took one nap (at 9am). I tried many times throughout the afternoon and early evening, but every time he'd wake up within a couple of minutes of me putting him down in his crib. He cried on the way to and from the grocery store as well as while I shopped. I went during Ian's nap and Nadia's room time so that I could only take Oliver since Paul was home. It was very challenging to cook dinner with a fussy baby who wanted to be held All The Time. Even the Weego didn't work. Ian had a royal fit over dinner, and it turns out Nadia doesn't like canned peas (she greatly prefers frozen ones). Her dinner took almost 3 hours, and she still didn't finish the hamburger noodle bake or peas. I have had a very sore throat the past two days. It really hurts to talk, which makes reading to the kids torturous, but I just can't say no. Ian peed and pooped in his underwear/pjs this morning in bed, and the list could go on. I think you get the idea. It definitely wasn't a pleasant day, but I'll take an unpleasant, exhausting day with three kiddos over one without any kids any day of the week! I'm really nervous that Oliver isn't going to sleep tonight. In the past if he's had a bad day as far as naps, then that has led to a really awful night.  I hope that doesn't prove true tonight. Mommy really, really needs some sleep! All of these pictures were from yesterday. I took the top and bottom ones. It's fun to take pictures of Oliver's smiles!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

We keep Christmas under control by giving the kids four gifts ... Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read. It gives us boundaries while shopping and helps keep the focus of Christmas where it should be. I've also heard of people giving their kids three kids in rememberance of the gifts the wise men brought to Jesus. Your kids are probably too young for this, but this year we've allowed the kids to do extra jobs at our house and at my parent's so they could earn extra money to buy gifts for each other.

Lisa said...

*giving their kids three GIFTS not kids! ;)

Lisa said...

We keep Christmas under control by giving the kids four gifts ... Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read. It gives us boundaries while shopping and helps keep the focus of Christmas where it should be. I've also heard of people giving their kids three kids in rememberance of the gifts the wise men brought to Jesus. Your kids are probably too young for this, but this year we've allowed the kids to do extra jobs at our house and at my parent's so they could earn extra money to buy gifts for each other.

TylerandBrianne said...

It really is the age she is compacted with the fact that she is a GIRL. It really is easier with boys. Before the twins and all the medical bills we chose 2 kids on the salvation army's Christmas tree. We picked the ones that wanted clothes, shoes, and a bike. I make them pack up some of their toys after Christmas to take to a local charity. I tell them the toys will go to a child that doesn't have as much stuff as them. This frees up space, and it teaches them a lesson on giving.