Friday, January 31, 2014

Rashes, Naps, and Cups

When you have young children, it seems you are in a constant state of transition in at least one way or another. For example, Ian is in the process of giving up his nap. Some days (like today) he doesn't nap, other days he takes a short nap (often around 30-40 minutes), and then every once in a blue moon (like yesterday) he takes a two hour long nap. I am trying to teach him to play quietly in his room while his brother naps. This skill hasn't come as easily for him as it did for his big sister. She gave up her nap before she turned four, so I am not surprised Ian is about ready to give his up. Oliver is ready to give up his morning nap and switch to just one afternoon nap a day. I have been trying to hold off on that transition as long as possible because it's so much easier to do my homeschooling from 9-10am while he naps, but I need to bite the bullet and figure out a way to do homeschooling while he's awake as his morning nap is now no longer than 30 minutes and he's having a harder time falling asleep for that nap. I hope his afternoon nap becomes longer once I stop putting him down for a morning nap. I also decided today to transition Oliver to a hard spout sippy cup because he was purposefully spilling cup out of the soft spout ones. I threw all the soft spout ones away. Ian never used a hard spout sippy cup. I couldn't get him to switch. He used a soft one until he switched to an open cup at the age of 28 months old. Oliver is now using the hard ones that were Nadia's years ago. He had a little trouble at first, but he figured it out. I also have started giving him sippy cups of water instead of always juice or milk. Lately he's preferred to drink juice over milk (which never happened with his siblings), but I still have him drink 15 ounces of whole milk a day.
 
Over the past four weeks Oliver has had a rash that comes and goes throughout the day on his face. A couple of weeks ago it was really dark and almost made a complete circle from his chin up to below his nose. I've noticed that it gets worse right after he eats or drinks. When he had the cold and his nose was being wiped all the time was when it was the worst, so I thought it was from the tissues, but his nose isn't running and the rash won't stay away although there are times in the day when it's almost totally gone. Ian got a rash from eating anything with cinnamon, but I haven't been able to figure out what is causing Oliver's rash because he can get it from just eating a slice of American cheese. I do know from what the allergist said in regards to Ian that it is not a sign of a food allergy. I have discovered he can't eat raisins or oatmeal or he has the runs. Ian has the same problem with oatmeal. Ian has never eaten raisin so I have no idea if he'd have a problem with them. Nadia can eat a million raisins without any issues. Oliver loves raisins, but I don't let him have them any more. I wish I could figure out what is causing the rash on his face. I am planning to discuss it with the pediatrician in two weeks at his 18 month check-up. I took these photos this morning while he ate his bagel for breakfast, and if you look closely you can see the rash. It's always on his chin and around his mouth.

No comments: