Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Thankful Tuesday


1. On Friday afternoon my mom arrived at our house for a 19 hour visit. The kids and I always eagerly anticipate her arrival! We had a delicious dinner at Perkins, as they are currently featuring various items on the menu that include fresh strawberries. My mom and I both had strawberries on French toast, and then my mom bought a scrumptious strawberry pie that we've enjoyed for several days here at home.

2. On Friday night Paul and I attended a ballroom dancing class for the first time in more than six years. This class is being held at a church less than a mile from our house! Paul was impressed by the instructor. Including us (not including the two who were teaching the class), there were five couples in attendance. They did four weeks of foxtrot lessons, and we showed up for the third week of swing lessons. We’re hoping to start going dancing more often. We are going to a dinner and dance (hosted by the same teacher) this Saturday night. My mom babysat for the 90 minutes we were gone last Friday night, but we're planning on going out for FOUR hours this Saturday night. That will feel like the first real date we've had since February. If I can find a babysitter, we're planning to attend four waltz lessons on Friday nights in July. It’s great to be going to a dance class together again, as that’s how we met in 1997! When I was at the kids' horseback riding lessons last Tuesday it hit me that I thought nothing of paying $100 for the two of them to each have five private lessons (she charges $10 for a private 30 minute lesson). Why would I feel like we couldn't afford to pay $18 for Paul and I to participate in a 90 minute group ballroom dancing class? It will cost more than that once you factor in paying a babysitter, but we think it's worth it. It's good exercise, and it's an investment in our marriage.

3. It was so nice to have Paul’s dad and my mom attend Nadia’s last U6 soccer game and the gymnastics showcase on Saturday morning.

4. Nadia and Ian had fun painting their rabbit figurines at Betty’s Ceramics on Saturday afternoon. They've already been asking when we can go back!

5. Although it was time consuming making our Disney FastPass+ reservations yesterday, it was MUCH better than running around the amusement park all day long to get them like I did last year!

6. Nadia now has four vegetables she will eat without any fuss - corn on the cob, green beans (as long as they were frozen, she does not like the canned variety), raw baby carrots with dip, and cooked carrots. Ian now has two vegetables he will gladly eat - green beans and cooked carrots. Progress!!

7. We've had fun playing board games together as a family the last few days. We've played Trouble, Go Fish, Hi Ho Cherry O, and Headbandz.

8. I ordered myself a new lens today! I wanted an upgrade to the "kit lens" to use in situations (like at Disney World, for example) when my favorite prime lens that I use 99% of the time (that I received at Christmas) isn't suitable. I got the lens for free today by using two gift cards I received (one at Christmas from my aunt and one at my birthday from Paul's parents), selling some textbooks (for $87), using a $60 gift certificate for applying for an Amazon credit card (to get a 3% rebate on all purchases on Amazon), using $25 I received on Mother's Day, and using some credit card points. Where there's a will, there's a way! Photography can be an expensive hobby, but it's definitely one of my most favorite hobbies because it involves taking pictures of my three greatly loved children. During the first almost seven years of our marriage the only time I usually took pictures was when we were on vacation. Over the last almost six years I have been taking pictures almost every day!

9. Oliver's attention span and interest in being read to has greatly increased recently!

No comments: