For the last seven years Paul and I have been in the habit of referring to ourselves in the third person when we're talking to our children. By that I mean we often use the word "Mommy" or "Daddy" instead of the word "I" or "me." From time to time when I hear Paul talking in the third person it makes me laugh. I recently suggested to him that we both work on eliminating this habit. Our kids certainly know our names, and Oliver could use some better modeling of pronouns as he uses the word "my" instead of "I" or "I am" (ex. "my thirsty" or "my hungry"). I suggested to Paul that he and I should help each other break this habit and point out when we are using the word Mommy/Daddy when we should be using a first person pronoun. We shall see how long it takes us to break the habit, but I will be very grateful when we do. I love being a Mommy, but I'd like to stop using the word so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment