Saturday, August 1, 2015

Three Little Pigs

We haven't seen a production at the Millbrook Playhouse before. It's located about 40 minutes west of us near Lock Haven. When I saw they were doing a production of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs," I knew I wanted to go because the traditional version of that story was Oliver's favorite story for quite awhile. This play, which lasted one hour and included several songs, was based on the children's book which tells the story from the wolf's point of view. He wasn't trying to blow down any houses. He had allergies and was only sneezing while trying to borrow a cup of sugar to make a cake. This afternoon Nadia and I were discussing possible ideas for how she could write a story which took the point of view of a villain from a different story. That will be a creative writing assignment for her at some point. Homeschooling truly is a 365 day adventure. Maybe some year we'll take the kids to see the musical "Wicked," which does the same thing regarding the Wizard of Oz. Paul and I saw it on Broadway in NYC a few years ago.

Other than this outing this morning, we stayed home all day, which involved a lot of time playing with Legos. On Thursday night we started a project of sorting the Legos by color and placing them in bins in a unit Paul had picked out years ago for screws and such but had never used. I unwrapped it and put it to good use. As the kids and I sorted Legos on Thursday and Friday, we learned that the two colors we have the most Legos of are black and red. We made one bin for people, another bin for wheels, one for light gray, one for dark gray, etc. We filled the whole thing up before we had put away all the Legos so I need to buy another unit for the rest of them, but we did put away at least 2/3 of our current Lego collection.

No comments: