Tuesday, December 25, 2018

I want a hippopotamus!


There's a song from 1953 that starts out, "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas, only a hippopotamus will do." As we entered church for the 5pm candlelight service, we each took a candle, and Oliver's name went into a drawing. All children aged 8 and under were invited to participate. Ian was wishing he hadn't just turned nine-years-old 12 days earlier as he loves stuffed animals. Early into the service they brought out three large stuffed animals - an elephant, hippo, and a giraffe, which was over 4 feet tall. The pastor called three names, and the first one he called was Oliver Kennedy. Oliver picked the hippo. The next boy picked the elephant, and a girl was given the giraffe. Ian, Nadia, and I all said we would have picked the giraffe as our first choice, but I can see how the hippo and elephant are more cuddly due to not being so tall. My second choice would have been the elephant. Any of them would have gone well in Oliver's jungle themed bedroom. His comforter has a lion, monkey, alligator, giraffe, and elephant on it. He received a Mickey Mouse from Paul and I
yesterday morning and a large hippo from the church at night. Oliver moved down a row so he could sit with the hippo. I had him move back up with us when it was time to light the candles.

Yesterday Oliver's main gift was a set of Magformers. I had toyed with buying these several times over the years, and when Oliver asked for them I knew I had to get them (because he might ask for 2-3 things a year). Hopefully all three kids will enjoy them! He been excited for a few weeks when he saw that his package was the largest. We also gave him a large Mickey Mouse (although small compared to the hippo), some gum drops, 4 CDs (three by Slugs and Bugs and one of the Nutcracker), a watch, and a set of Legos. He has just started to learn how to follow directions and (almost) build a set independently.

Yesterday Ian received some Calico Critters animals, which he plays with in Nadia's room. She received a Calico Critter house for Christmas last year He received some other small animal figurines (cat, sea turtle, alpaca), a Lego set, gum drops,
some Paddington Bear books, a Leroy and Stitch DVD, bowling shoes, Mr. Incredible, Rummikub game, and Jack Jack. I got him the game in part because I have fond memories of playing that with my Grandma Lillian. We played the game last night.

Nadia's gifts from us included 11 books, a Mad Lib book, Mrs. Incredible, Violet, a Lego set, some sour candy, Sunchips,  bowling shoes, nail polish, bracelets, and pens.

We spent today with Paul's family. His mom cooked a delicious meal that included some of my favorite foods - a delicious cranberry salad, Millie's homemade rolls, ham, and Ellie's macaroni and cheese and baked beans. I need to learn how to make "her" baked beans and also her macaroni and cheese. Yummy! Millie brought an assortment of desserts from her bakery - brownies, cookies, and two kinds of pie. I had pumpkin pie. We also exchanged gifts. The hippo was the largest gift anyone received yesterday, but today the kids received a gymnastics wedge
mat, which was in a huge package! Nadia had asked for one for a couple of years, but the cost was the reason I didn't get her one previously. Once Oliver also started asking for one, I figured we should put it on his (very short) wish list. Grandma and Pop Pop gave it as a gift to all three kids. Oliver needs to master his backwards tuck roll, and Nadia wants to conquer her kickover.

This is my third Christmas without my mom, as she passed away 2 years plus 5 months ago. She is greatly missed. Christmas is very different for me without her. Our church rarely includes special music in the worship service (by special music I mean a solo, duet, trio, quartet, etc.). Two days ago there was both a men's quartet and two young women sang a duet. The duet was about celebrating Christmas while a loved one is in Heaven. The girls who sang it lost their brother three years ago (when he was in high school). I'm also missing my brother. There have been many Christmases I haven't seen Yvonne because she's been in Turkey, but I only recall one other Christmas (the first year
he moved to Brazil) when I didn't see him around Christmas. I'm thankful I'll get to see one of my three siblings this Christmas, as Wendy should be arriving at our house on Thursday with her four kids. I have included a picture of Yvonne and Joe with their eight kids below. As you can see from the pictures below, Oliver brought his new hippo to Grandma's house today.

I want to wish each of you a very Merry Christmas. Hoping each of you has received the best gift of all - Jesus!










No comments: