Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Thankful Tuesday

 

1. Nadia was able to participate in a Bible quizzing event at our church for 7 hours on Saturday, and then she went home with one of the girls on her team for an impromptu sleepover. It's the second time this year she's spent the night at a friend's house, and she's had friends over for a sleepover at our house at least five times this year. I'm thankful she's developed friendships at church - primarily through Bible quizzing.

2. I enjoyed teaching the 1st-5th grade boy's class at church on Sunday. We were studying the third and fourth commandments.

3. The boys and I enjoyed the delicious Thanksgiving dinner at Pastor Ken's house on Sunday evening. That meal is usually my favorite meal of the year - baked pineapple casserole, baked corn casserole, pumpkin roll, and Watergate salad are foods that I really, really love and typically only eat at a potluck meal. Oliver's favorite dish that night was no surprise - sweet potatoes. I enjoyed those also! Ian liked the turkey the best.

4. The first few years we had guinea pigs, we didn't have trouble with their water bottle. We have had LOTS of water bottle problems this year with both the rabbits and then the guinea pigs. I bought our fourth water bottle recently, and it seems we have found the "winner" as my mom would have said.


It doesn't drip (which means the bedding will last longer) and doesn't have to be removed from the cage in order to be refilled. As long as Nadia refills it once a day, I think we will be set!

5. Margie received the good news last week that the cancer hadn't spread to her lymph nodes. Unfortunately the pathology report also showed that the surgeon hadn't removed all of the cancer. She's having another surgery this Thursday to remove the rest of the cancer. Six weeks later she'll begin radiation treatments.

6. Something was crossed off the house "to do" list yesterday! Paul had a dermatologist appointment yesterday morning and decided to come home and do some work for the business on his computer rather than going in to the plant. Paul installed a window well cover. I had bought two in April 2019. He installed one. While waiting for the other one to be installed, it had been broken. Paul bought another one in April 2020, and he installed it yesterday. So now the list has five projects on it. I'm very thankful Paul was able to accomplish one task around the house for me! Also, Ken came today and said he thinks he can finish three or four of the other projects on my list in one night next week. WOOHOO! I am so excited!! 

7. The kids and I enjoyed the sirniki (cheese pancakes) on Friday. Almost everyone loved the pommes aligot and chicken Kiev that I made on Saturday. Nadia and I really, really liked the peach kuchen I made on Sunday. Now since what I'm planning to make tomorrow includes rice, it probably won't go over very well, but I'm thankful that the majority of new recipes have gone over well so far. I have struggled to find some of the ingredients, but last night it hit me that I could probably find those ingredients at Wegmans. Sure enough, they do! The next time I take the kids to the place where they have trampolines, laser tag, arcades, bowling, etc. I will also pick up a few things at Wegmans.

8. The Steelers are 9-0 for the first time EVER. I actually watched a few minutes of the game on Sunday at Pastor Ken's house, which was the first time I watched any football in 2020. 

9. There are about 2,500 people who consider our church to be their church (far fewer than that are official members and far fewer than that attend on a given Sunday especially due to COVID). Over the past eight months we've only had four people come down with COVID-19 within our church, which is less than two tenths of one percent. Up until Sunday I wasn't aware of anyone I personally knew who had COVID-19, but the couple (#3-4) who came down with it recently were in the same Sunday School class I used to attend prior to COVID (the class hasn't resumed meeting yet). I'm thankful that our area hasn't been hit very hard and that a vaccine has been developed. Praying the numbers will start falling around the country and around the globe once the vaccine distribution begins. 

10. It took a little over two weeks, but Ian's body has finally adjusted to the time change. This morning was the first time he slept in past 7am since the time changed. He had been getting up between 6:00-6:30 each morning. Oliver slept in until almost 9:00am! I'm not really wanting him to sleep in that late on a regular basis, but to me that is one of the benefits of homeschooling. If he needs that much sleep, he can get that much sleep. Oliver goes to bed at 8:30, and the other two go to bed at 9:30.

No comments: