Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cruising!

I made mashed potatoes with Nadia in mind, but it turns out she likes TGI Friday's mashed potatoes WAY more than Mommy's. Mine were spit out of her mouth - she'd rather have green beans, LOL! Eventually I got her to eat mine, especially when I mixed some other foods in, but I was surprised as she loved them at the restaurant and also loved them one time when I gave her some instant ones. I guess mine were too bland. She definitely wants to eat whatever Mommy is eating. Too bad I don't like brussel sprouts and broccoli.


This week I've started giving her a few bites here and there of my food - grilled cheese sandwich, pasta, etc. I'm amazed how well she does with eating "big people food" even with only 2 teeth. For several weeks I've given her a few tastes now and then of my ice cream sandwich when I'm eating one (only give her the vanilla ice cream part of it). She now recognizes it from the outside and makes sure she's right close to Mommy when Mommy is eating one. She flaps her arms and looks at me eagerly. I feel like a mother bird, LOL. I know she shouldn't be eating foods with sugar yet, but trust me I give just a few tiny dabs of it. I eat 99% of the sandwich myself. She seems to be a girl after my own heart though as she LOVES ice cream! Of course 99.9% of the time she eats healthy foods like cottage cheese, yogurt (plain), unsweetened applesauce, oatmeal, rice cereal, carrots, green beans, and peas. The veggies are ones I made and froze. It works out so nicely to just microwave a cube or two at a time. The next baby food I plan to make is corn. I think she's old enough now to have some corn. I don't think it will be too long until I start cutting up some table foods for her now that I know she likes pasta, rye bread, and biscuits.

Three of Nadia's favorite activities are riding on my shoulders, exploring her toy box, and going down the slide in our backyard. Yesterday was a beautiful day with temps in the 60's - YAHOO! Nadia can now cruise along the toy box. Sometimes she holds on with both hands, sometimes with just one hand, and for brief seconds here and there she stands without holding onto anything. She also has figured out how to crawl up the one step from the family room to the kitchen. :-) We had lowered the mattress in her crib a few weeks ago, but now it's time to lower the one in the pack & play also as this morning I watched her pull herself up to a standing position and walk (cruise) around all the sides of her pack n' play. The second or third time I took a short video although she pulled herself up before I hit the record button. It's not the most exciting video, but I know at least Grandma will want to see her new ability - cruising!

The flow on the Nuby is too fast. The Nuk is the winner for the time being; hopefully eventually she'll be able to use the Nuby and the other 2 sippy cups we own, but for now we'll stick with the Nuk. We have some medium flow nipples for her bottles although we've still been using the slow flow ones. I think we'll also switch to medium flow on the nipples to get her used to a faster flow.

2 comments:

Christine Ansorge said...

Nadia is cute, but I have to say you were my favorite part of the pictures.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Chrissy, those are cute shots of you enjoying your daughter (in the mirror). :)

Now to address your question about becoming a bulk shopper. I have been a Costco member for a year and a half, so I'd be happy to share about the pros and cons that I've discovered. It's not a cut-and-dry decision, particularly for a bargain shopper who is accustomed to using coupons and/or steering toward sale items. I am happy with the decision to do most of my shopping at Costco these days, but I don't think that Costco/Sam's Club save you as MUCH money as is often claimed. Most of the online comparisons of Costco (or Sam's Club) vs. regular grocery stores "prove" that Costco is way cheaper by comparing the per-item cost and showing how much cheaper Costco is, but they do NOT base their comparisons on bargain shoppers who wait for a sale or coupon price at the regular stores. Also, Sam's Club/Costco offer far fewer options for generic brand products, which means that you end up buying a lot more brand-name products than you would if bargain shopping elsewhere. So, for example, Quaker oatmeal is much cheaper per packet at Costco than Quaker oatmeal is at Safeway, but if you compare it to Safeway brand oatmeal, then the price difference is smaller, and if the Safeway brand oatmeal is on sale, then chances are it is cheaper than the Quaker oatmeal at Costco. However, there is something to be said for the lack of hassle in shopping at Costco... you don't have to study grocery store ads and compare prices, and you end up paying a fairly low price overall (much cheaper than non-bargain shopping elsewhere, although perhaps not as cheap as full-fledged bargain shopping) without the hassle of bargain hunting. I can discuss this more with you next week, in fact we can even go to Costco while you're here if you want, but maybe you'd rather not spend your time grocery shopping while here, LOL. It would be on our way home from the airport though, if it interests you. :) Costco and Sam's Club are VERY similar, from what I've been told, so it would give you a good idea of what to expect. One final thought to share on this subject: you can always go for a "trial" run. At Costco (and I'm sure at Sam's Club too), your $50 membership fee is refundable anytime if you're dissatisfied with being a shopper there, so for example you can shop there once or twice and then decide against it, and they'll refund the full $50 and you can go back to shopping elsewhere. PHew sorry that turned out to be so longwinded. :)