Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Dreaded Time Change

On Wednesday we started putting the kids to bed later to try to have a smoother transition for the time change. Prior to having kids, Paul absolutely loved "falling back." I never was a fan of my internal clock being messed with, but as parents we've discovered that "springing forward" is actually not so bad. It's falling back that is not very pleasant. The past few days the kids were going to bed one hour later than usual, but instead of sleeping in longer, they were waking up earlier than usual, which meant they were losing almost 2 hours of sleep each night. I was pleasantly surprised this morning because Ian didn't wake up until 7am. Our plan actually worked with him! Nadia climbed into bed with us at 6:20, and normally I don't let her join us any earlier than 7am. If the plan had to work with only one child, I'm glad it was Ian that slept until 7:00 because Nadia takes longer naps, and I could still stay in bed until 7:00, whereas I get up with Ian gets up.

I had gone to bed later than usual because of the 3+ hour concert last night, so I didn't gain any extra sleep despite the extra hour. I'm hoping that it won't take too long to get both kids back into a routine of sleeping until 7:00am. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening out last night. It was so refreshing to be able to chat with my friend, and the concert was outstanding. I really enjoyed all of the artists. This video presented by World Vision was also very moving.

I figured it was going to be really hard for Ian to stay awake at church in light of the time change. I went back to the nursery as soon as the choir went down from the loft (11am). He was asleep in someone's arms. I asked if he had been asleep for a long time. If he had, I was going to let him sleep, but she said he had just fallen asleep. So I woke him up and took him in the service with me for awhile until he was a bit too vocal (saying things like "light"). I then kept him in the lobby (they have speakers so you can hear the sermon in the lobby) for the rest of the service. At one point he tried to sleep on the floor in the lobby. He was very tired! My efforts to keep him awake paid off because he slept in his crib for 50 minutes after I fed him lunch.

I actually did a little shopping while the kids were napping. The consignment shop was having a sale this weekend of 50% off everything. I had fun getting the kids some Christmas clothing and such. Whenever I'm shopping I'm always comparing the prices to what I expect to pay at a yard sale. With the 50% off the prices were closer to yard sale prices. Speaking of clothing, I love these tights that Nadia wore today. She wore this dress last winter, but I think the pink tights she wore today for the first time today really jazzed the otufit up. I knew she wouldn't object because her favorite color is definitely pink!



No comments: