Friday, November 11, 2011

New Libriarian

We got a new librarian the end of August. I really miss the previous one. Melissa used a cd player and had the kids singing active songs (ones that involved marching and such) in between the books that she read them. She had interesting crafts at the end of the storytime. Altogether the program lasted 45-60 minutes. This summer they split the kids into two groups. Melissa was with the 3-5 year olds, and a volunteer was with the 1-3 year olds. I have to say the volunteer (a teacher) did an even more amazing job. I haven't been impressed with Megan (new librarian), but I kept going in the hopes it would get better.

Today was the worst. She couldn't even manage the children, and she only read one book. She didn't select a book that was appropriate for the age of the children present. They advertise the storytime as being for children ages 0-5. Most of the kids are 2 or 3 years old. She read a book about Amelia Bedelia running for mayor. The kids didn't comprehend the humor At All. The program lasted less than 15 minutes as she only read them one story. She's never included any singing, and she just passes out a paper the kids can color at home at the end. I've decided it's not worth the hassle to go anymore. It takes me longer to get the kids shoes and coats on, get them in their carseats, and drive there than it would take to read them one story at home. I will say Megan is VERY expressive when she reads, but that wasn't of benefit today because she couldn't be heard. Thankfully, the program Nadia attends on Wednesdays is excellent. Some parts of it definitely go over her head (such as this week when she was trying to teach the kids about 1/6), but I think it's good for her to learn to sit and listen. Karen (OT) told us on Tuesday that she needs to start coming to see Ian on Fridays instead of Tuesdays, so maybe it's all for the best that we are not going to go to this library program any more. It's disappointing, but at least we have other options as far as storytime goes. We'll go back to our library this summer if the program is anywhere near as good as it was this past summer! Today's highlight was running into a former student of mine (she graduated in May 2010) who now works for the IU. I taught her in fall 2009. She remembered that Ian was born during finals week that semester.

Tonight I'm trying out a new hairdresser. A new salon opened in our town this week. The one I tried two times ago was awful - one of my worst haircuts ever. The one I tried last time was acceptable - not amazing but definitely better than the one before that. I'm hoping that I'll like this one and that the prices are reasonable. They are open until 8pm several nights a week, which is a plus! My hair has been driving me crazy lately as it's been too long since I last got it cut.
On Wednesday my department chair told me he thought the President would make a decision regarding my leave in the "next few days." HR told me that I could sign up for FSAs even though I'm not certain if I'll be working next year. Today I set up a $3,500 medical one (the ivf will cost far more than that, but that's the maximum that can be claimed in 2012). The neighbors didn't seem to like signing the forms for the dependent one in 2010, so I decided not to set up a dependent care account even though it would save us at least $100 next year. I really, really hope to hear an answer in the next few days as the suspense is very hard for me and also if I'm not going to be teaching next semester then I'll be going off the bcp in about 10 days. I'll be on bcp for several more weeks if I am teaching next semester. It's been 3 weeks since I put in my request. I can't see how it's to their advantage to delay the decision making process as they'll need to hire someone to teach either 2 or all 4 of my classes. I had hoped to know by the end of this week, but I can't see that happening. I'm REALLY praying I'll find out next week.

1 comment:

TylerandBrianne said...

In the past we were allow to do 5k in medical FSA. I wonder if it has changed (per gov. regs) or if each job can pick an amount up to 5K. I was planning to do 5K next year to pay for therapy for Wyatt and Bailey. I hope nothing has changed. I will have to look that up.