Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mommy is Learning

As you can see from these pictures (taken yesterday), the weather was unseasonably warm again yesterday. I wish those were normal temps for January! I took the kids to the playground yesterday. I had Ian go potty right before we left, but what I forgot to take into account is that I had given him a sippy cup of rice drink not that long before that. Even though he had just gone to the bathroom, he couldn't hold it the whole time we were gone. That was 100% my mistake. I could tell he had to go to the bathroom while we were at the park, but I thought he needed to go #2. I was wrong. The only time he pooped yesterday was first thing in the morning (before I got him out of his crib). I had taken him into the portapotty, but I didn't keep him on that potty long because he had never pooped on a potty before. Well a little bit later he peed in his pants for the first time in 52 hours. I learned that there are two things to take into consideration before taking Ian out and about #1 has he peed recently AND #2 when is the last time he had a sippy cup.
At church this morning I learned a second lesson. They have a short toilet in the bathroom in the nursery. It's smaller than a regular tiolet, but definitely bigger than his frog potty. Ian didn't go at home before we left for church. I tried to get him to go, but it was too early (we leave around 8:30am). I had him try a few times at church, but he didn't go until 10:50. That boy can hold it a long time, although not as long as Nadia can, in part because he drinks far more. I was so proud of him when he went, but when I went to pull up his underwear and pants, I discovered they were soaked. They were dry when I put him on the potty. OOPS! This was my fault. I learned that it he's peeing on a potty that doesn't have a plash guard, I need to push his you know what down so that the urine goes in the toilet. Thankfully I had brought a spare pair of pants and underwear. I was proud of him for not having any accidents at church. The wet clothes were from my error, not his. I'm learning it's definitely different with a boy, and we haven't even reached the point where I need to teach him how to pee standing up. One thing at a time. I'm so very proud of Ian!!

2 comments:

Believeitwillhappen said...

Yes boys are a challenge I think Evan went over a year still sitting down unless it was an emergency or Daddy was with him. He finally will go independently at school and home but prefers the baby potty to poop. He is doing fantastic. I think I'll send Sara to you for a few days she is not doing well, think I'll hold off until my Feb break to try the 3 day method. This weather is fantastic still no snow in Buffalo! Although I'm hoping to use our snow days at some point! Good luck Wednesday, hoping for lots of fertilization to occur.

Anonymous said...

I needed to push his "you know what down"...its called a penis. Come on- you are a college educated woman with a doctorate no less!