Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Spanish Class!

Yesterday at ballet I noticed a sign for a language school that recently opened in the same building. I checked out the website last night and was excited to see that they offer French and Spanish classes for as young as three year olds! She offers classes for various ages at various times of day; some are geared toward homeschoolers (ex. a class for K-3rd grade at 11am on Fridays). I'm thinking of signing Nadia up for a Spanish class in the fall on Monday mornings. It's for 3-4 year olds. If at that point I think Ian can handle it, I'm going to ask her if he can also join even though he'll be 3 months shy of 3 years old. If not, Ian and I can head across the street to the playground. I haven't had Spanish since 1986 so I'm sure this woman would do a better job than me. She grew up in France and then earned her BS in Spanish and her MA in Second Language Teaching at PSU. If Nadia wants to do ballet again next year, I'll switch her to a dance studio which offers a class for 4 year olds from 9:30-10:30 on Monday mornings, and then she could do the Spanish class from 11:00-11:45 before we'd head home for lunch and naps/ quiet time. I'm excited! I know that it's best to start teaching a second language at an early age, and I think Spanish is more practical than French or German.

Please don't tell me my child is unsocialized just because she's not enrolled in a preschool. The plan at the moment is for her to be in Sunday School and Children's Church from 9-12 on Sundays, ballet and Spanish on Monday mornings, a preschool Bible class on Tuesdays from 9-11:15, and gymnastics, storytime at the library, and Cubbies on Wednesdays. In light of a baby on the way, I'm glad we'll be staying at home the other three days of the week. I'm planning on signing Ian up for gymnastics starting next January. They can be in the same class once he's three. I also am going to have him start participating in storytime in the fall. I hope wherever we move (after Paul graduates) the area has as many opportunities for kids as they do around here! If we happen to stay in this area, I would like the kids to take art classes once they're a bit older.

No comments: