Friday, July 20, 2012

Anemic Again

I had an ultrasound on Tuesday, and they said the next one would be on Friday. It seems they forgot, and I wasn't on the schedule for an ultrasound. I asked about it, and they took me down for one this afternoon. On Tuesday he was not anemic. In fact, the velocity of the MCA was almost identical to what it was on Friday (the day after the last transfusion). Over the past three days he became anemic again. The velocity jumped from the high 30's to the mid 50's. The other two times when it went over 50 I had a transfusion. However, as you progress in the pregnancy the numbers are allowed to get higher. He wasn't in the severe category yet. The doctor said she doesn't want to do a transfusion this weekend so she's just not going to have him checked (she admitted he might get into the severe category this weekend). She said we'll check him again on Monday. When I had the transfusion last week, Dr. Tressler said he thought we could go 3 weeks in between transfusions this time. Unfortunately, that seems very dubious. It seems it will be more like 12 days between transfusions this time (if I have my next one on Tuesday). I think the other reason he said 3 weeks is because he has been on vacation this week and will be on vacation next week as well. This means if I have the transfusion done next week, it will be done by a doctor who has never done the procedure before. Gulp. I think this also means the 3rd transfusion might not be the last one. Dr. Tressler had said if I made it 3 weeks then that would be the last one (at 31w) because they don't do transfusions past 32 weeks, but if I have a transfusion at 29w6d, then I could definitely be up for another one at 31 or 32 weeks. How many times will my back be punctured this summer? The answer might end up being seven times (I've had 4 lumbar punctures thus far).

No comments: