Saturday, January 12, 2013

I love you, Ian!

Ian has now been three for one whole month. I am still adjusting to the notion that I have a three-year-old. I still tend to think of him as a two-year-old. Not counting the time in the womb (Oliver wins that prize), Ian has been the most challenging child to parent of our three munchkins (thus far). Some things have been very painful for him - two urological surgeries, two endoscopies, having eosinophilic esophagitis, being allergic to many foods, overcoming sensory issues, and my extended absences this summer. With other things I'm not exactly sure why they have been so difficult for him - such as sleeping and following directions. No matter what, we love him oh so very, very much.

I love...

1. your zest for life. You attack almost everything with a great deal of enthusiasm, energy, and laughter. Your gymnastics teachers really enjoy your smiles.

2. how affectionate you are. You give the best hugs! I love that you ask for hugs or kisses or to be held at various times throughout the day. Some day you won't ask for these things so I'm soaking it up for as long as I can. I think your love language is physical touch.

3. seeing how much you love Oliver. You ask to pet him (although I keep telling you we don't "pet" babies) many times a day.

4. seeing how much you love Daddy.  You prefer Daddy to put you to bed, brush your teeth, etc. If you see him, you ask him to play with you. You love to tackle him!

5. watching you play with Nadia when you two are getting along nicely. You two have a long way to go in learning to share, but there are sweet moments as well.
6. your blonde hair. I realize it will most likely turn brown at some time, but for now I enjoy having a little towheaded boy.

7. your beautiful blue eyes, which you got from Daddy.

8. the way you stroke your belly button. It cracks me up, and you don't suck your thumb (which is proving to be a hard habit to break with your older sister).


9. your grateful spirit. So many times a day you say "thank you" of your own initiative, and at many moments at times I wouldn't even think to encourage you to say thanks. At least two times a day you tell me you are thankful I'm not at the doctors (hospital), and you often make the statement about Oliver also. I am so sorry that my absence was so traumatic for you, but I really appreciate that you don't take my presence for granted. I am so glad to be at home with you, Ian. I missed you soooooooo much this summer. It broke my heart to see you so little for so many weeks.

10. your ability to play by yourself for extended periods of time. Your sister could learn some lessons from you! You play with such a wide variety of toys over the span of a week. Yesterday you were playing with one of Nadia's castles (you play with it more than she does), and I saw that a Little People Noah, a Little People Superman, and a Little People kangaroo were all in the castle together. It cracked me up!

11. your imagination. I love to hear what you are drawing or making with Play-Doh.

12. the way you march around the room with the green rhythm sticks during music time. Your favorite songs at the moment include "Do your ears hang low" and "Tararabundaray."

13. your sweet voice. I know your voice will change, and I will miss it. I must take more videos!

14. hearing you burst into song all throughout the day. Again, I must take more videos!

15. that there are now a few foods that you really enjoy eating. It does a momms's heart good.

16. that you haven't had an accident in a couple of months. There are plenty of 37 month old boys who don't wear underwear 24 hours a day. I'm thankful, and I can't wait until you learn to undress and dress yourself (and get up on the toilet yourself) so that you could be a tad bit more independent in terms of going to the bathroom.

17. how you spontaneously tell me "I love you too" several times each day. I love you SO much!!

No comments: