Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Isaias


Since we live in central Pennsylvania, hurricanes and tropical storms very rarely impact our weather. Although hurricanes certainly create much bigger problems in places like Florida and South Carolina, hurricanes affect the weather here on Long Island more often than where we live. The last three times we came to Long Island we had very good weather overall. Last year the weather was absolutely perfect. Another year we went to an aquarium on a rainy day. Our tradition when we spend time at Aunt Janet's has been to have breakfast, let the kids watch about 1 hour of tv (she has cable and Netflix, and we don't have either of those), swim in an outdoor or indoor swimming pool for about two hours in the morning, have lunch, and then drive to to the Old Field Club beach where we usually stay until at least 7pm. Yesterday she grilled hot dogs and steamed some corn on the cob at the beach for dinner. This morning we were able to swim at the pool for a little more than 2 hours, but we're not heading to the beach today due to the rain and wind from Isaias. Thankfully, the weather forecast looks fine for the next two days. Aunt Janet brought up a cornhole game that we played inside her home. Nadia, Oliver, and Aunt Janet were on one team, and Ian and I were the other team. We played three games. Ian and I only needed 1/2 point to win for the last couple of turns, but Oliver got 5 points to win the game for his team, which meant their team won 2 of 3 games. Yesterday we played Pit at the beach and began a game of Quiddler. Aunt Janet, Nadia, and I finished the game of Quiddler today. I won that game. I took some pictures at the pool yesterday. I brought my camera to the beach yesterday but then didn't take any pictures. Tomorrow I'll be sure to take pictures at the beach. The water temperature at the beach and the swimming pool is lovely.


I had recently purchased a Polamalu t-shirt for Nadia at a thrift store, and when I was helping Oliver pack I realized that I had previously gotten him a Polamalu t-shirt at a yard sale. Nadia and Oliver wore their matching shirts yesterday. Paul and I have decided to take a year off from watching the NFL. We usually have cable tv for at least four months each year (September - December), but we're going to take a longer break from cable tv this year. Right now we have Disney+ and Amazon Prime. I haven't decided if we will continue Disney+ when the year I paid for ends in early December. We are looking forward to seeing The One and Only Ivan on Disney+ later this month. We had expected to see it in the theatre, but the theatres have been closed since March. I had used credit card points to get an AMC gift card prior to the pandemic thinking I'd use it this summer to take the kids to see 3 movies (Mulan and Minions 2 were the other two movies we planned to see). We might not be using the gift card until 2021. We shall see when the movie theatres actually reopen. 



No comments: