I realize that technically it is summer until September 21, but usually once kids head back to school, it feels like the summer is over. Some aren't going back to school until September 8 due to how late Labor Day is this year. We were at Six Flags America in Maryland on Tuesday with Yvonne's family, and I think for our family that was the last blast of summer. The kids and I went to a Six Flags park a total of five times this summer - three times in New Jersey and twice in Maryland. We met at least some of the Towfighis on three of the five trips. The one in Maryland is close to their home. Yesterday was Paul's first trip to an amusement park in more than a year. He got up at 2:00am to go to work and was back four hours later, which meant he spent 2+ hours on the road to spend almost two hours at work. He tried to nap some in the van while I drove down to the amusement park. We left at 7:10, stopped once for gas, and arrived at about 10:50, which meant it took us less time to get there than it did when I drove down in July. When we visited the park in early July, we didn't enter the water park section. This week we spent time both on dry rides and the water park. I liked spending time in the water park because face masks aren't required on those attractions, which means I get to take pictures and even though I didn't go down any water slides, I could cool off a bit now and then as it was a hot day. We left later than planned, and our stop at a Wendy's drive-thru took us about 30 minutes. As for actual driving time, it was definitely the shortest trip to that park from our house this summer, but we still didn't get home until about 10:45pm. I had taken the kids to a Six Flags park four times by myself this summer, and I told Paul the only way we would make the fifth trip would be if he came with us to help with the driving. He did most of the driving, but he woke me up at one point and asked me to finish the drive home. Knowing he had been awake since 2:00am, I agreed, but obviously both of us were very tired. The kids had a fun day. Since I had my camera, I actually didn't ride any rides. Jenna was working at Chick-fil-A that day so we didn't see her, but we were able to spend time with the rest of their family. They are planning to move to Quito, Ecuador once the pandemic has ended although depending of the timing of their move that might not include Jenna, as she plans to begin studying at Messiah College next fall.
We've been gradually easing ourselves into the new school year. Nadia enjoyed taking a lot of pictures today with my camera after completing another lesson in an online photography course. Beast Academy 3A and learning to write in cursive are definitely very challenging for Oliver so I've decided to hold off a bit longer on starting to teach him the piano. I am still hoping to start him sometime this year. We shall see. I think reading, math, and handwriting are far more important, and none of those come easily for Oliver. I am actually thinking of buying the Beast Academy 2A-2D books and using those this year instead of 3A-3D. If I could go back in time I wish I had waited until Oliver turned 6 to start him in Kindergarten. Because homeschooling instruction is individualized, it really doesn't matter what "grade" he is in. I think he would find it upsetting if I told him he was in second grade again this year.. I'm just hoping that by the time he turns fourteen he'll be ready for high school. Promotion Sunday will be on September 6 at church, and he's expecting to move from the 1st/2nd grade boys class to the 3rd-5th grade boys class. Parenting is full of so, so many decisions to make. We try our best, but we are very human.
They are having a big outdoor baptism service this Sunday, and Oliver expressed a desire multiple times to participate, but I don't think he's ready to be handed a microphone and give a spontaneous testimony in front of hundreds of people. We'll just wait until he's older and is ready to make a video, which is what they usually do when baptisms are held inside the church.





No comments:
Post a Comment