Sunday, March 14, 2021

Happy Pi Day!


Traditions are more important to some people than to others, but I think most people enjoy having at least some traditions. Ian reminds me of Maurice in some ways. Traditions were UBER important to Maurice, and they are to Ian as well. Somewhere along the line, the kids started having popcorn on Sunday and now "popcorn Sunday" is very important to them. They each have a special bowl they use for that occasion only. Having donuts for breakfast on their birthdays is also something they really treasure. Over the years I've tried to add a few new traditions along the way. I've been giving the kids each a small gift plus some candy for Valentine's Day the last several years - one year I gave them each a book, another year I gave them each a puzzle, etc. Last year was the first time I bought them each a small gift for Easter. I did so last year because we were in the lockdown of COVID. I decided this year to get them each a little something for Easter again. I ordered Nadia three used books by Beverly Lewis via Thriftbooks that I know she'll enjoy because she read the first books in those two series, and they don't have the rest of the books at the library. I got Oliver a Rubix cube, and I got Ian some baseplates for building Lego creations on.  Yesterday I also got them some candy (Peeps for Oliver, jelly beans for Nadia, and a chocolate bunny for Ian). I think I'm all set for Easter gifts. Now I need to buy the things we need for our Passover seder. 


This year we've celebrated far more holidays than usual as we've been learning about different countries around the world. Paul would definitely like it if we continued to celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving Day as he liked having two turkey dinners last fall. Since we don't put anything in stockings for the kids, I think we'll continue the St. Nicholas tradition of putting something in their shoe on December 6. The kids want to continue celebrating Three Kings' Day and Chinese New Year, because they liked getting the red envelope with money in it in February and an extra gift in early January, but I don't plan to make those annual traditions. I might make Hamantaschen cookies on Purim each year because Nadia really liked those cookies. I am planning to continue the tradition of making a pie on March 14 each year for Pi Day. Yesterday I used part of a gift card at Pizza Hut. We had leftover pizza for lunch today (which is one form of pie), and I'm making a Polish apple pie called Szarlotka this afternoon so we can have apple pie later today.

Yesterday afternoon we met Nadia's director in Lewisburg to pick up the costumes she needs for the play they're performing on Zoom this week. While we were there, the boys tried another skate park. It's a much bigger skate park than the one I took them to last Wednesday, but there were also a lot of people there whereas we had the other park to ourselves. They had fun though so I'm sure it won't be the last time we go to that skate park. Nadia hung out with Milo and her friend Natalie. Natalie is in 8th grade and also goes to our church an also is in the same play (Nancy Blue). 

Milo loves to take a nap in Nadia's bed when she's reading.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I like your story about Popcorn Sunday. In our house, it seems things end up being important traditions if they involve yummy food. ; ) Last fall, we started sharing a different flavor pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream every Saturday night. The kids will NOT let us forget!