We started trying to have children in May 2002. After pursuing fertility treatments, domestic, and international adoption, our daughter Nadia Renee was born on 6-24-08 (at 36w4d). IVF #2 resulted in Ian Alexander, who was born on 12-12-09 (at 34w3d). Oliver Elliot (IVF #3) was born on 8-7-12 (at 31w6d)! Three other pregnancies (in 2005, 2007, and 2013) ended in miscarriage. Our family is complete! We are so thankful for our three miracles!
Friday, March 7, 2008
Caroline?
Yesterday, Jo sent me a few name suggestions to me. I ran them by Paul, and there were two that we added to our list of possibilities. One of these was "Caroline." I had never thought of that name, but I have to say I like the sound of Caroline Kennedy. I also think it works well with some of the other names we both like such as "Caroline Sophia" or "Caroline Nicole." So I have two questions regarding Caroline. #1 Do you think people will shorten Caroline to Carol? Neither of us want our child named Carol. #2 Will the "i" in the name be pronounced as a long or a short vowel? I really prefer it with a long "I" sound.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I think spelled that way it would be pronounced Carol Line...if you spelled it Carolyn that would come out the other way.
I dunno about shortening it...I think if I was to shorten it it would probably just come out "Care"...lol...
Caroline Kennedy sounds very distinguished though....
I agree with Ayre. I was going to post the exact same opinion. I don't think people will shorten it to Carol either but possibly Carrie or Care. It's a pretty name. I like it with Nicole
Well, if you do choose the name, President John F. Kennedy would have approved, since that's his only surviving daughter's name!! So if you don't want to name her Tabitha (from Bewitched) or Sophie (from Sophie's Window...), you may want to think hard if you want some people to have this association as well. It was my first thought when you said the name, but Joe and Maurice didn't make that connection. Maurice votes for the name Savannah! :) He says that Savannah Kennedy is an awesome name. If he were a girl he would change HIS name to Savannah Kennedy. Just thought you'd like to know!
I agree that the name Caroline tends to be pronounced with a long "I," however, you'd probably get a lot of mispronunciations from people who can't remember which way it's supposed to be. I speak from experience, having a friend (not close to me) named Carolyn (or is it Caroline?), and every time I see her (not often) I stand there thinking "Is it Carolyn or Caroline?" and hope someone else pronounces it in my presence so that I don't address her incorrectly. Having said all that, though, it is a lovely name, and I wouldn't necessarily rule it out just because people might mispronounce it! :) Have you checked a Baby Name book out of the public library yet (or even the university library might have one)? That's a great way to get an overview of a LOT of name possibilities.
People will call her what you call her. Noone calls Candace Candy since we don't. If someone calls her Carol, you can just say, "We prefer her to be called Caroline." It won't be a big deal. It would be pronounced with a long i sound. Most people have enough background in phonics to be able to read it correctly. I like that you chose a traditional spelling. Choose whatever name you like the best. Regardless of what you choose, you will always have critics.
Ruth! I think it's a beautiful name. I just asked my girls if they liked that name with the long or short "i" sound, and Liana prefers it with the short i, and Aleksa likes it with the long... I like it better with the short, but I think it's beautiful either way. When I first read the name "Caroline Kennedy," it instantly brought to mind President Kennedy's daughter. Classy lady, but if the connotation bothers you, you might want to reconsider it! :O) Best wishes! So much fun to be thinking pink!
Thanks for all the feedback! Wendy, yes we've owned a big thick baby name book for a few years (purchased for $1.99).
I talked with dh again last night about Caroline and I don't think that will be our daughter's name. We shall see what we come up with!
Post a Comment