Wednesday, February 15, 2012

7 weeks!

Only 8 more days until the ultrasound! I can't wait to see our little one. I know he/she has grown SO much since we saw him/her as a blastocyst. This morning I decided to try a more "diabetic friendly" breakfast. Lately I've been having a large bowl of cereal, and I'm sure that has more sugar than would be advisable (lately I've had things like Raisin Bran, Cinnamon Life, and Corn Pops). I had two slices of whole wheat toast with peanut butter. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter for breakfast, but I know there is protein in that, and I didn't want to have an egg for breakfast today. I felt better than I had been feeling after cereal, but I was still really hungry. So I had a light yogurt and a 90 calorie peanut butter granola bar a little bit later. That took away the hunger and morning sickness nausea. I did have some hot chocolate at lunch with a egg/cheese/bagel sandwich. Lately if I've had any chocolate, I've felt horrible shortly after eating it. I really think protein is the key. If I have some protein, my body can handle some sugar much better than if I don't have any protein. That's good to know that I don't have to give up all sweets if I combine it with protein. Now I need to track down my glucometer. Hopefully I still have it. The other thing I've learned is I must go to bed very early on Tuesday and Thursday if I want to have any energy on Wednesday and Friday. It seems that chasing after the kids from 7am-3pm and then working from 3pm-8pm is the most I can handle in the first trimester. I need extra sleep those nights. Last Wednesday I was too tired to go to choir rehearsal because I didn't go to bed early on Tuesday night. Tonight I was able to go because I went to bed early last night.

I spoke with Ian's allergist at 8:30am, and she suggested reintroducing one food today and then waiting 3 more days before reintroducing another food. She said to start very slowly in terms of the quantity. She told me this as we were headed out the door for gymanstics, the library, Dunkin Donuts, recycling center, and  bank, so I didn't try to feed him until lunch. I did stop at the health food store after gymnastics to buy him some coconut or almond milk yogurt, but they only had goat milk yogurt. I decided to try pureed pears instead. It was a disaster. After only a few bites he was spewing all over the place. I called the allergist back, and she said not to feed him anything more until I talk to her again on Friday. If he's still throwing up just on Elecare, she'll put him back on Pulmicort. If not, we'll try to reintroduce food again on Friday. I am really puzzled why he is having so much trouble this time around. Last summer once we got him on Elecare and eliminated milk, soy, eggs, and nuts, he stopped throwing up. In October when we first tried reintroducing milk, the very day we took milk out of his diet he stopped throwing up. At that point he wasn't on Elecare and wasn't on any medications. I just have NO idea why this time he's still throwing up even though he hasn't had any milk for almost 2 weeks and has been on Elecare for 11 days. I gave him far more milk in October than I did this time around. This morning when I talked to her she said that although EE is a difficult disease (especially due to the lack of accurate testing), she said that Ian is a particular difficult case - much more difficult than the average child with EE. I already figured that out because the previous allergist said that almost all children go back to a normal diet without any medications after the all clear biopsy (which Ian had the end of August). Obviously, Ian is in the small minority who still has allergies even after the initial treatment has ended. I have a feeling we're going to be postponing his admission to Hershey Medical. He threw up once more this afternoon. I'm hoping he won't throw up tomorrow.
For those of you who might be ttc, may I pass on a word of advice - don't buy the CVS brand of hpts. Someone recently told me of an experience she had recently where she got a +++ with one of these tests on a Friday and had a Beta that day. Because the line wasn't really dark and because the lab wasn't calling back with the results until Monday, she tested again on Saturday and it was BFN. She thought maybe she had an early miscarriage, but then on Monday found out that her hCG on Friday (by the bloodwork) was zero. The line showed up right away on Friday and could still be seen days later. I think a false positive is an awful thing to go through. I am mentioning it here in case any of you might be buying a hpt in the near future. As most of you know, I'm a big fan of CVS, but I don't recommend their hpts! I haven't used anything but First Response the past few years so I can't speak from personal experience about any other brand.

No comments: