
Paul had his first in-person interview in New Jersey last month. That interview only lasted about one hour including his chemistry teaching demonstration. Last Friday Paul had his second interview. That interview lasted about five hours and included a variety of meetings (such as with the Provost) and a physics teaching demonstration. Today he's having his third in-person interview at a school about 40 minutes from our house. His first two interviews were for tenure track jobs. Today's is just for a one year full-time adjunct position. He'll be driving up to Colgate tomorrow to interview for a two-year teaching post doc. He received his fifth invitation to interview in-person today from a community college in upstate New York (a tenure track job). They will be interviewing in May. Paul will call her back after his interview this afternoon.

I mailed the 50th application today as the university where I taught is hiring two FT adjuncts for next year, and their application deadline is on Monday. Paul had taken some chemistry classes there to get ready to start his MS at Bucknell, and I wanted him to personalize the cover letter accordingly. He accomplished that task this morning. All but three of Paul's phone interviews resulted in an invitation to interview on campus. The ironic thing is that of all the places that contacted him, the two he was by far the most interested in (one in PA and one in NC), they were two of the three who didn't invite him to interview on campus following the phone interview. At this point his desire is to teach locally for 1-2 years and then start a tenure track job in 2014 or 2015. If that's what happens, we will be more selective as to where we submit applications and only apply to places where we actually would like to live for a few decades. Both Paul and I agree that we'd really love it if our next move was the last move for a very long time, but who knows, we might be moving to NY this August!

Up until March 22, we hadn't seen any jobs available for our area so prior to that I had started packing. I've only done a tiny bit of packing over the past month, but now I am definitely not going to pack any more until I know where Paul will be teaching next year. Some of the packing will end up having been in vain if we stay here (ex. I took apart the Christmas tree and packed it up), but some of the boxes will stay as is (such as the clothes Ian recently outgrew that I'm saving for Oliver). Up until March 22, it seemed impossible we'd be staying in this home (unless we couldn't find a buyer). I was trying to find the bright spot for the packing I already did that might have been in vain, and it hit me that I did a much more thorough purging than I typically do in the spring, and that's a good thing. Nadia is hoping we won't move because she wants to go to Sparks at the same church where she currently goes to Cubbies. Several people in my church choir have said they're praying Paul gets a local job. If we stay in the area, I might teach a class now and then as an adjunct where I had taught the past 9 years - provided I could teach an online or evening class, as my priority is definitely my three sweet kids!


1 comment:
Upstate New York is close to me...just sayin' :) Good luck to him on all the interviews!!
Post a Comment