Monday, February 27, 2017

Skiing adventure with Grandpa!

The last time I went skiing was February 27, 1999 - exactly eighteen years ago. I skied at Roundtop (farther south in PA) with my Dad and my brother. On February 27, 2017 my dad and I took Nadia and Ian skiing at Ski Sawmill. The excursion was totally free except for the gas to get there and back because of a contribution I made to WVIA in December. It was the very first time Nadia or Ian ever were on skis. The three skills they needed to learn were how to use a T-bar to get up the slope, how to ski down the slope, and how to stop at the bottom. Nadia had a little bit of trouble learning how to use the T-bar. She had no problems learning how to ski, and she definitely had trouble at first with learning how to stop, but she definitely mastered all three skills. By the end of the day she was riding the chair lift to the top of the mountain and skiing down all by herself. She was ready to progress to the intermediate slopes. Ian had a lot of trouble learning how to use the T-bar. He got pretty good by the end at using it to get up the mountain, but he never mastered how to get off of it
gracefully. He usually ended up in the snow. He did learn how to ski down the mountain and how to stop. He went up the chair lift once, but that was too intimidating for him. Honestly he had the skills, but it was too scary for him. Maybe next year he'll be game for that. I was very glad we didn't bring Oliver this time. My dad and I had our hands full teaching two kids how to ski for the very first time. Next year I think we'll bring Oliver along. If we renew our membership with WVIA we can ski for free twice a year. Nadia and Ian didn't want to leave at the end, but my dad and I had enough, plus we needed to get home to have dinner. I had packed our lunch, but I hadn't brought anything for dinner. We were there for six hours, and we had a great time! The temps were in the high 40's, and when you are helping a child ski you really feel quite warm.

I took some pictures with my good camera and also some pictures and videos with my phone. I haven't gone through them all yet, but here are a few. I decided to take the plunge and shoot in Raw instead of jpeg, and then I found out that my 7 year old version of Lightroom wasn't compatible with raw files from my new camera. Oops. So that lead to me buying a new version of Lightroom, which I wasn't planning on doing. I will be the first to admit that photography isn't a cheap hobby. I had returned my Christmas gift from Paul so I hope he didn't mind that I bought this instead.











No comments: