Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Third bucket list

Today I worked on our third annual summer bucket list. I was able to do that in part because we stayed home this morning. We have completed about 1/4 of the list thus far. We saw Trolls on DVD a while back, so we opted to stay home this morning instead of seeing that at the theater for $1 today. After lunch we spent 2.5 hours at the swimming pool. Nadia stayed in the water the whole time. The boys stayed in the water most of the time. The water temperature is now up to 76 degrees! I swam laps some, worked with teaching Oliver to swim some, and also read a little. It was warm today but not beastly hot like it has been the last few days. Originally we planned to go to Knoebels today as it was a buy one get one free day. The weather was perfect for a day at Knoebels, but I'm glad we were at home for most of the day.

I found out at the pool yesterday that the only lifeguard who can give lessons is Tommy, who is only lifeguarding on Sundays due to working at Geisinger this summer as a part of his pre-med major at Bucknell. Last year there were a couple of lifeguards
who could give lessons during the week, and I was hoping to take advantage of that this summer. Originally the kids' schedule was free in the evenings the last two weeks of June, but recently I had signed them up for Kidzway Camp at our church (I plan to have Nadia and Ian attend that 3 nights next week) and 5 nights of Mega Sports Camp the last week of June at another church. Both "camps" are free and are at night. The preschoolers do a variety of sports, but Nadia and Ian each had to pick one sport. Their choices were flag football, basketball, soccer, and cheerleading. Nadia picked basketball, and Ian picked flag football.

When I found out they couldn't take swimming lessons at our pool, I told Nadia she had a few choices - skip Kidzway Camp to do swimming or diving lessons next week in the evenings, skip swimming and diving lessons this year, or take private swimming lessons in the morning the last week of June. She picked the private lessons knowing that if she made that choice she'd skip diving lessons
this summer. Oliver has been signed up for a group swimming class the last week of June. I am going to work with him in our pool until that point as he has a lot more fear than he used to regarding the water. Nadia might do diving lessons again in the future, but that was scratched off our list for this summer. I called the recreation association today to see if they would allow Ian to be in the beginner tennis class for ages 9-12 with Nadia so that he could take Level 3 swimming lessons right before tennis. Right now he is scheduled to be in the beginning tennis class for ages 6-8, but that conflicts with the level 3 swimming class. I'm hoping they'll bend the rules a little because private lessons cost more than the group class, and I'd rather not pay for private lessons for both of them. We shall see what they say.

Another reason I wanted to stay home this morning is because tomorrow should be a jam packed day including a 50 minute trolley ride, Montage Mountain water park and miniature golf, and seeing the movie Cars 3. The kids will get into free into all of those places including a free drink and popcorn at the theater! Paul and I will get in free for everything except the movie. Our tickets will cost us $5 each. I plan to pack lunch and use a gift card for dinner, which means the outing will cost us $10 plus the gas it will take to drive to Scranton and back. I am thankful for our WVIA membership!













No comments: