My mom loved planning vacations, and I am like my mom in this regard. The methods of planning a vacation has drastically changed over the past 30+ years. My mom used to buy a couple of travel guide books (ex. one by Mobil) to use in planning a vacation. Although printed travel guides still exist, the internet is even better. I have been studying some for the Praxis test I'm taking in *gulp* two weeks, but what I've also been doing that is far more pleasurable to me is working on the list of ideas for field trips and vacations for the next several years. I tried to include science museums, natural parks, historic sites, factory tours, cave tours, amusement parks, etc. There are still things in my head that aren't on the list yet, but I am all ears if you have suggestions for me! I tried to pick many things that are a reasonable drive from here and take advantage of the fact that my Dad lives in Maryland so we can stay there when sightseeing in DC and such. I have included 3 trips in the next 5 years that would involve airfare. Hopefully that will be financially feasible.
Here are some highlights of the plan at this point:
2017-18: 2 night trip to Virginia in August, 7 night trip to Long Island in July, 3 trips to Maryland, 1 night trip to eastern PA next June, various day trips, and a 2 night trip to Niagara Falls in September
2018-19: multiple trips to MD/DC, 1-2 night trip to Philadelphia, week in Virginia in September, overnight trip to Pittsburgh, overnight trip to New York, and a 7 night trip to San Diego in October (I found out that
kids get in free that month to MANY places including Sea World, San Diego Zoo, etc.). Now I just have to figure out a way to pay for our airfare and rental car. The last time we flew anywhere was May 2015 so it will have been 3.5 years at that point.
2019-20: 3 night trip to NYC, various day trips, multiple trips to MD/DC, 3 night trip to Michigan, 7 night trip in September to various sites in Virginia and South Carolina including a few days at Myrtle Beach
2020-21: various day trips, 7 night trip to Ontario and Quebec, and 7 night trip to Mexico (drive to Canada and fly to Mexico)
2021-22: 2-3 night trip to Cincinnati area, various day trips, and 10 day trip out west (fly out) to sites such as the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and Carlsbad Caverns
Although it's fun to go on trips and such, it's also nice to have time at home sweet home. Knowing we'll be in New York from July 1-8 I decided on Tuesday I needed more "at home" time this week. I also have had a cold and that was the other reason I felt I needed to just say no to a few things scheduled for this week. That included missing my Bible study on Tuesday night (tough call), skipping a meeting regarding programming for homeschoolers on Thursday afternoon, and having the kids skip the Mega Sports Camp last night and tonight. Yesterday we did go to our pool though. Monday through Wednesday we came home after the kids swimming and tennis lessons (which last from 9:00-11:30). The kids had fun playing sharks and minnows, Marco Polo, and other games with a few other kids at our pool yesterday. The lifeguard got in and played with them some also. I also rescheduled the kids' horseback riding lesson that was to take place this afternoon even though it means we have to push it back a few weeks. It's hard for me to get things done like laundry, cooking, cleaning, making photobooks (did that this week), mowing the lawn, etc. if I'm constantly in my chauffer role.








No comments:
Post a Comment