Saturday, July 5, 2008

So Sorry!


Nadia is only 11 days old, and already I have apologized to her a few times. I can see that it's easy to be aware of one's faults as a parent. The first time was the day we came home from the hospital, and I took off her hat and realized that the white headband she was wearing was too tight and had left a mark all around her head. I felt awful! The second time was on Thursday night in the middle of the night she was really fussy, and I forgot to check her diaper. The next time I checked it I found she had a HUGE bm that was all up her back, etc. It was crusted on her on some places. I felt terrible! Then I felt even worse when she had another big bm (although I caught that one right away so it stayed in the diaper area), and my mom said probably it was because I had eaten a frosty from Wendy's that night. I felt terrible! I did ask the lactation nurse about that yesterday, and she said that loose bowels are normal for breastfed babies. She didn't think it had anything to do with what I ate. However, she hasn't had another bm like that so I think my mom was right that it was from the frosty. Well although I love chocolate, I love Nadia FAR more; so I will go without if that's necessary!!!
Praying that she'll sleep well tonight since Paul can't help me due to his poison ivy. Also praying for progress on elimination of the shield. She can latch on without it, but she doesn't stay on very long and gets frustrated so then I switch to the shield. At least she nurses for a couple of minutes w/o the shield each time. Well I think I shall catch a nap before the next feeding.

5 comments:

Tamera said...

good news on the house!!
As far as the hair band...you did better than I did. Someone had to point it out to me as a possible cause for the crying! Poor baby had a headache!!

Kathy and Matt said...

Great to hear the good news on your house.

Sounds like you are all settling in as a family quite well. Hope Paul feels better soon.

Joanna said...

I've had moments like that (apologizing to baby), LOL! The most recent was just 2 nights ago (see my blog). I felt terrible when I got in there and saw what was wrong, and the whole time he had been crying, I was like, "WHAT could possibly be wrong with him?"

And the poopy...newborns do tend to have very explosive bms. Expect to be covered in it yourself at least once in Nadia's babyhood (though I predict several times). ;) Noah's favorite time was while he was eating. It would be all over him, me, the boppy, and whatever else was close by. Fun, fun!

Joanna said...

OH and praise the Lord about your house news!

Forgot to include that. :)

The Adventures of Jing and Ying said...

That is GREAT news about your house! Our street has two houses that had been for sale for over a year. In the past week BOTH have sold...maybe the horrible market is starting to improve. I hope so.

You will love having central air and the jacuzzi tub. I love our huge tub, and it's fun to bathe the girls in it. They think it's a swimming pool.

Don't beat yourself up for a few mistakes. You are doing a great job. I'll never forget when we were in China adopting Kylie when she was 8 months old. I laid her on the bed to change her diaper and the split second I turned my back, she rolled off the bed onto the marble floor. I was hysterical with guilt and worry, but she was fine. And then 3 years later when we were in China adopting Sophie, a similar incident happened. No matter how careful you are, there will always be accidents.

Erica