Sunday, August 17, 2008

Associate Professor

Well yesterday my promotion and tenure became effective. I have no idea why they became effective on a Saturday given we only work M-F. Yesterday and today I have been doing some work to prepare for the fall semester; it was the only thing I couldn't do prior to Nadia's birth as they only gave us access on August 1. I finished 3 of 5 classes (one is just an independent study) and hope to finish the other 2 before I go to bed tonight. My goals for this week include to start packing, start exercising, and get caught up on writing thank you notes. I am so amazed at how many people have sent us a card and/or given us a gift. When I stopped in my office on Friday there were 3 more gifts - two from nursing profs on my hall and one from the union president and office manager. Those gifts included a beautiful white sweater cape, onesies, shoes, headbands, and a t-shirt and socks from our school's bookstore.

Tomorrow I have my ppm visit at the OB's office. I asked for my appt to be with the OB who did the c-section (and vacuum attempts) as I want to be able to ask her a few questions. I had one prenatal visit with her. I plan to weigh myself with Nadia and without Nadia at the doctor's office so I can find out how much she weighs. We tried doing that at home with our scale and it seems she's over 9 lbs, but we aren't sure how accurate that is. I am very curious to see how much she weighs. The second photo here is from July 15 and the third is from today. In the second one the sleeves are rolled up and you can see there was a lot more growing room in that sleeper than there is now (3rd photo). She's definitely longer & heavier!

Friday night she slept 5 1/2 hours straight the first stretch which was great, but then she only slept 30 minutes total the rest of the night which was not good. Last night she slept 3 1/2 hours the first stretch and after I nursed her 45 minutes she slept 2 1/2 hours. Then she was awake from 4:30-8:30am and then slept 45 minutes. Thankfully she went back to sleep easily at 2am last night (which didn't happen the night before). However getting her down for the first stretch has taken a long time every night for many days. I'd say the shortest it takes to get her down is 2 hours and the longest is 4 hours. She took one nap in her car seat today, and it took Paul over an hour to get her down. She falls asleep but wakes up soon after being in the seat and it's back to rocking her to sleep again, etc. I hope once she feels better that it's easier to get her to sleep for both naps and for bed at night. I was very grateful Paul got her down as I slept both during the time he was working to get her down and the time she was sleeping as I was totally exhausted. Friday is really my first day back to work even though classes don't start until next Monday. I hope I can start getting more than 6 hours of sleep a night before I go back to work.

1 comment:

lmstephenson said...

Nadia is a beautiful baby! I'm praying that she starts sleeping better for you.

Lynn