Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to Work

Well Nadia and I went to school today. We left the house at 8:30am and didn't return until 5;00pm. Thankfully most days won't be that long. I was exhausted at the end of the day, and I think Nadia was also as I just put her down (easily for once) at 7:30pm. I am going to head to bed myself shortly once I feel certain she's really going to stay asleep. My meetings were on all different places on campus so I got a good workout with her in the sling especially as the campus is on a hill. I have to start by saying that she slept SIX HOURS STRAIGHT last night. WOOHOOO! I was soooooooooooooooo thankful! She slept from 9:45pm to 3:45am! Then she was up for quite awhile. I think it was 5:30 when she went back asleep. I felt badly as I had to wake her up at 7:45 to get dressed as I wanted to nurse her before I left at 8:30am. She slept in the car and slept through my first mtg (until 10:30am), and then I nursed her for 45 minutes before heading to a picnic with the students at 11:30am. After the picnic I nursed her again before going to the faculty meeting. She got fussy in the beginning so I gave her a bottle and after downing one ounce she conked out and slept the rest of the mtg. I wanted to nurse her after the mtg but people were coming to my office so I gave her more bottle. I left feeling totally drained. I guess it's because I was doing two jobs at once - caring for my sweet 8 week old daughter while also doing my job at work. That is tiring! I won't be teaching with her in the room, and that's a good thing. I forgot to mention yesterday in my "errands" post that although running errands is easier without her, I miss her when I'm running them alone. I really do. I love her so much, and it's hard to leave the house without her.

I probably looked absurd as I went into my office this morning as I had Nadia in the sling and then over one shoulder I had a bag with my work laptop computer and over the other shoulder the diaper bag. Then in one hand I had another bag (with a pack of diapers, pack of wipes, etc.) and in the other hand I was carrying the pack n' play. Yikes!!! Thankfully on the way out I only had Nadia plus 2 bags (diaper and computer). Hopefully Paul will finish his thesis this weekend so I can go back to leaving my laptop at work as then I'll only have one bag plus Nadia. The pack n' play fit perfectly in my office right in between my desk and the doorjam - the exact right size! At first I changed her diaper on a changing pad on the floor a couple of times (and snagged my nylons the first time on the velcro) but then switched to using the pack n play as I had the bassinet part in the top so I don't have to lean down too far. I left one (Steeler) bib there, one pack of diapers, one pack of wipes, one thing of diaper cream, one boppy (the "generic" one which isn't as nice as the real one that I still have at home), and one activity gym thing. She has a home away from home in my office. :-) I kept her bottle in the frig as well as her antibiotic. I changed her diaper 5 times in my office today so the janitor will have a treat when he empties my trash can, LOL. Thankfully I'm good friends with him. :-)

The first two photos were taken this morning to commemorate her first day of school. Monday is the first day of classes. The bottom photo was taken this evening. Mommy needs to do the laundry - all her newborn size sleepers are in the hamper. So she wore a 0-3 month size sleeper for the first time, and it fit! I bought this one 3 years ago. It's the only sleeper I've purchased. Hopefully she'll sleep as well as she did last night!!! That would be awesome as I am exhausted.

1 comment:

Kathy and Matt said...

Sounds like you had a long first day back. I can imagine how exhausting that was. I hope Nadia cooperated and slept for a long time for you.

You'll be surprised at how adept you get at bringing all the different "accessories", but it is amazing how much "stuff" seems to go along with these little cuties!

Hope things just keep getting easier!