Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ouch!

Nadia is 9 weeks old and almost 9 lbs! All of the previous weight measurements at the pediatrician were with her diaper on (no clothes just a diaper), but today's was without a diaper. I think if it had been with the diaper she would have been a little over 9 lbs. Without her diaper she weighed 8lb 15 1/4 oz. Just 3/4 of an ounce away from 9 lbs on the day she turned 9 weeks old. The poor girl got stabbed three times today. She bled a little in one leg and a LOT from the other leg. That look in her eyes when the first needle went in was very painful emotionally for her Mommy! The fourth immunization was given orally. She liked that one a lot as it tasted sweet. If only they could all be given that way! Paul and I drove separately to her doctor appt. She rode in with Mommy and back home with Daddy. It's the first time the base was used in his car; it was her first ride in any vehicle other than Mommy's car. I hope she's good for Daddy tonight. The doctor said she could have some Tylenol if it seemed like she needed some. Paul has never been home alone with her before, and he'll have her for 4 1/2 hours until I get home at 8pm. Hopefully it will go well. This will be the longest I've ever been separated from her, but at least she's with her Daddy!

Last night she was a very good sleeper. She slept 5 1/2 hours and after nursing for 45 minutes went down easily and slept another 3 hours. That meant I got about 8 hours of sleep. Woohoo! I still feel tired, but I guess it will take awhile until I make up for all that sleep I've lost. The doctor said that if Nadia weighed more she'd probably be sleeping at least 6 hours in a stretch but that it will take longer for her to sleep through the night since she started out small. In church yesterday they announced the birth of another grandbaby for our Pastor (his first grandson), and that baby weighed over 10lbs at birth. Nadia is 2 months older than him and weighs less! However she's now 22 inches long so she's grown almost 3 inches! I believe it. The newborn sleeper I had her in today really is too small in the legs and arms. She's definitely ready for 0-3 month size sleepers and dresses. I am still not sure about the other 0-3 month outfits. I guess I'll have to try some more on her, but they still look rather big for her.

As for her congestion, Dr. M said to renew her antibiotics and continue for another 10 days. I didn't think it did any good the last 10 days, but I will follow the doctors orders. Nadia likes the taste of it so she won't object, LOL. She also suggested having her take a tiny bit of Zyrtec every day in case it's allergies. She said we might consider giving her a small dose of Zyrtec every day until she's one year old. She said it's been shown to decrease problems with allergies later in life, and allergies are usually passed down from the mother so Nadia has a high liklihood of developing allergies (I had weekly allergy shots for a few years as a child). I personally think it's more likely to be allergies. Poor girl has been congested for 3 weeks now! She hates the saline spray up her nose but frankly that seems to do far more good than the aspiration as sometimes there isn't anything that far down that the aspirator can do any good. Paul found a different kind that seems to be easier to use than the "Little Noses." It's called Baby Simply Saline. Well I need to get ready for class. I teach from 5:00-7:30 this evening. I hope Nadia has a good evening. I'll be anxious to get home and see how she's doing and nurse her before I put her to bed.

No comments: