Monday, March 10, 2014

Spring Forward

Most adults do not enjoying losing an hour in the spring, but ever since 2009 I've been a fan of this time change as it's helped my kids sleep in a bit longer. I find falling back an hour in the fall to be MUCH harder on the kids (and therefore on me as well). Yesterday Oliver didn't get the memo about the time change, but the other two slept in much later than usual (according to the new time anyhow, it didn't actually represent any extra sleep). This morning all three of the kids slept past 7:00am, which was just heavenly. Here's to hoping that this time change will help Oliver and Ian sleep in closer to 7am on a more regular basis.

Nadia went to bed later than usual on Saturday night because I put stuff on her thumbnails which would make them taste awful if she put them in her mouth. This brought on many tears and even a little vomiting, which proves that the thumb guards weren't doing an ounce of good because obviously the thought of not being able to suck her thumbs was very disturbing to her. I threw those thumb guards in the garbage. She had worn them a total of 8 weeks (4 weeks when she was 3 years old and the last 4 weeks). I have to reapply this stuff (looks like clear nail polish) every other day so we shall see how that goes tonight. Now that she has two permanent teeth, she really needs to stop sucking her thumb! 

Last night she also stayed up later than usual, but this time it was for a happy reason. On Friday afternoon she started reading Revolutionary War on Wednesday, and she finished it on Sunday afternoon! I told her she could stay up an extra 15 minutes to celebrate her completion of her second chapter book. She thought this was SO awesome to be able to stay up later than her brothers. She used her extra time to read a chapter in another Magic Tree House book (one Aunt Wendy gave her at Christmas in 2012) and to play two games of Uno with her parents. It truly is the little things in life that can make us so happy! I finished reading the fourth Imagination Station book to the kids at lunch today and then began reading them Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Paul and I are thrilled that all three of our kids love books!

Speaking of spring, we are finally getting a taste of spring weather although there's still snow on the grass. It's about 50 degrees out right now. When Oliver wakes up from his nap, we're headed to the playground again, although I'll learn from our mistakes on Saturday and have them wear snow boots today as the playground was still covered in snow. It's supposed to be close to 60 tomorrow. Wahoooo! Then it's supposed to be cold again starting on Wednesday, but hopefully we won't have to wait too long to see temps in the 50's and 60's again. It's no shock that of the first nine applications I've submitted for jobs for myself four went to Georgia, one to North Carolina, and one to South Carolina. I'd like to move south!

No comments: