Thursday, March 17, 2011

IVF Statistics

The 2009 data for the fertility clinic I went to from July 2004-June 2009 (I went to one in Allentown from September 2003- June 2004) is now available online. In 2007, I did my first cycle of ivf. They did 14 cycles with women ages 35-37 (I was 35 then), and 6 of those resulted in a pregnancy (two sets of twins and four singletons). I was one of four women ages 35-37 whose transfer didn't result in a pregnancy. During that year they also did six frozen embryo transfers for women in that same age bracket. The other five women didn't give birth. Nadia was the only baby born from a FET that year (to a mom between the ages of 35-37). They did 19 FETs that year (all ages combined), and 4 of those resulted in a baby being born. When I first read those statistics two years ago, it blew me away.

Yesterday was the first time that I saw the 2009 data. I had checked a few times this year, but the last time I checked the most recent data was still from 2008. In 2009 I did another fresh cycle with them. They did 13 cycles with women ages 35-37 (I was 37), and 6 of those cycles resulted in a pregnancy (three sets of twins and three singletons). Six of the cycles were cancelled so really their stats are rather impressive in that 6/7 who made it to retrieval did end up with a baby in their arms, and half of them ended up with twins. I was one of the three women who had one baby (Ian). We didn't have any embryos left to freeze this time, but I still noted that they did 13 FETs that year (all ages lumped together), and 3 of those resulted in a baby being born. This again reminds me of what a miracle Nadia is (and Ian also but the FET statistics are much worse than the fresh transfer ones).

It's not good for me to spend too much time looking over the statistics because it makes me want to do ivf again. I remember after my FET saying I never wanted to do ivf again. I think that was because I had done so many fertility treatments and aside from one miscarriage, they never resulted in a pregnancy - even my first ivf transfer. I think the reason why I feel so totally different about it now is because I've had 3 embryo transfers - and two of those resulted in giving birth. I realize it might not work if we did it again, but it's hard to let go of my desire to try once more. I am extremely grateful to the Lord for these two miracles He's blessed me with, and I'm very thankful for the wisdom He gave those who created and developed the procedures involved in ivf.

No comments: