Monday, March 14, 2011

One Tiny Bean

Last Wednesday I made chicken quesadillas and green beans for dinner. Nadia enjoyed the quesadilla (which pleased me because she rarely eats meat), but she wouldn't touch the green bean. I thought I'd use milk as the incentive. On a typical day she only drinks milk. She loves her milk! Evidently her dislike of green beans is greater than her love of milk. I thought for sure the next day she'd agree to eat one small bite (all I was asking), but she kept saying that she'd drink water. So from Thursday through Sunday she only drank water. I didn't view this as altogether bad because it's the most water she's consumed in her entire life. Today I decided though that she WAS going to eat that little tiny bean. I told her this morning she wasn't going to eat or drink anything (aside from her daily vitamin) until she ate that one miniature bite of a green bean. She chose to skip breakfast and lunch. This meant she couldn't fall asleep during her nap because she was hungry and thirsty. She usually sleeps 2-3 hours. Yesterday she took a record breaking 4 hour nap, but I think that was from losing an hour of sleep the previous night due to DST. Today she didn't sleep At All. At 2:30 she finally agreed to eat the bean so that she could drink some milk. She guzzled a glass of milk and then went back up to bed, but after awhile I gave up on her taking a nap and gave her a yogurt to eat. I do not enjoy these food battles At All. I am glad though that she drank a lot of water the last five days. I've decided that from now on she must drink some water every day. I do want her to have some milk every day, but I also want her to have some water every day.

I kept telling myself I was going to do things differently with Ian so that hopefully things would go more smoothly, but in light of his total aversion to eating, that's not going to happen! Two days ago I got him to eat a whole container of baby food (3.5 ounces) in one feeding. That put a BIG smile on my face. Then yesterday and today he went back to totally refusing to eat. Beth called today and said that his stool sample was normal (no blood in it). Karen the OT will be seeing him tomorrow, he has his 15 month check-up at the Pediatrician's on Wednesday, next week he'll be seeing the allergist, and in about 1 month he'll be seeing the urologist and having his upper GI x-ray. The Hershey feeding team has been very slow in scheduling his appointment. I am waiting to receive a form from them in the mail. After they get it back from me then they'll call me to schedule his appointment.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I don't eat green beans either. They smell funny.

Holly's a big milk drinker, too. After becoming annoyed with mopping up a constant flow of little spills of milk all over the house from supposedly spill-free toddler cups, I decided to only give her milk when she's sitting in her chair for meals; the rest of the time she carries around a cup with water. Although I wasn't concerned with her water intake, I have to confess it has been nice to see her drinking some.