After Nadia did her schoolwork and we ate an early lunch, we piled in the van to head to the Children's Museum. I began to wonder if we were actually going to be able to go because the check engine light was flashing, but I pulled over and after the vehicle started to warm up the light went off and didn't come on again. I hadn't driven the car in 48 hours, and during that time it was VERY cold outside. I think the van doesn't like being in zero degree weather! The kids were very motivated to keep Oliver awake because I told him that if Oliver fell asleep we'd go to Walmart after the museum, but if he stayed awake we'd go to Walmart before the museum. They were very anxious to go to Walmart because they each planned to spend some money. I also wanted to get Nadia some headbands and hair clips because she's letting her bangs grow out, and they are now long enough to be in her eyes. Nadia fell in love with a $40 Frozen lego set, and that was about $30 more than she had so she didn't actually spend any money. Now I need to come up with some ways for her to earn the money. Generally I only give her money for losing a tooth ($1), her birthday (she'll get $7 in June), and 50 cents for watching Oliver for me from time to time (such as while I'm taking a shower). Since I don't give her an allowance, I need to give her opportunities to earn the money.
Ian picked out a small Spiderman toy that cost $8, which was how much money he had brought with him. I knew he had some more money at home to cover the tax, so I included his item in my purchase of milk and such and charged it on my credit card. After I paid I turned and asked him for the $8, and he handed me four quarters. He said he had left the $5 and $2 bills at home. When we got home a few hours later, he couldn't find the $7. I think maybe he lost it in the store. Lessons learned include #1 buy this boy a wallet (it was in his pocket) or keep the money in my purse for him and #2 don't pay for the item until he hands me the money. He had another $2 bill in his bank at home, and Nadia generously gave him $1 of her money towards the Spiderman, but he's $4 short at the moment so Spiderman is up in a cabinet until he can pay me the $4 (unless we happen to come across the $7 he lost at some point or another). The kids had a blast at the Children's Museum as always. The activities were focused on Dr. Seuss today. They made Horton elephants (including the flower he held with the Who on it) out of toilet paper rolls, played with oobleck (Nadia's favorite part of the day today), sewed pockets for Wockets (I was very impressed with Oliver's ability to sew with a plastic needle!), flip green eggs (beanbags that looked like green eggs) with a spatula, make creatures out of modeling clay, etc. I have decided that in August I am going to buy a family membership because Oliver will no longer be free as of August 7, and it would be cheaper to buy the membership at that point than to just go on $2 Tuesdays. They have really neat programming on other days of the week (ex. science classes for homeschoolers every other Wednesday) that we could do for free if we buy the membership for the year. If we have an annual membership, I think we'll be heading out there more than once a month. I wish it was a little closer to our house, but it's worth the drive. All three kids slept on the way home, but it was a much shorter nap than usual for Oliver. I think next month we'll get there earlier so Oliver's nap isn't sacrificed.




No comments:
Post a Comment