Saturday, February 7, 2015

2.5 Years Old!

Today is Oliver's half birthday! He will be three years old in just six months. Wow. Here are some ways he has changed over the past three months:

1. He now pronounces Nadia's name as "Naia" instead of "Nana." Ian and Nadia both pronounced the name Naia for awhile as well when they were toddlers.

2. Oliver has gone from 12 piece to 24 or 25 piece puzzles! He can usually do the 25 piece puzzles independently if they are in a frame. The ones that are just pieces in a box are a little harder for him, but he's still doing a great job. Nadia and Ian were about a year older than he is before they could do those puzzles. He asks to do puzzles several times a day.

3. He has gotten much better with his daytime potty training although he still has accidents now and then. The biggest changes would be that he now tells me more often when he needs to go and he's wearing underwear 24 hours a day now! Night time training him has been very easy (much easier than day time training him). The one negative change over the past three months is that sometimes when he has a #2 accident he now takes off his underwear and pants and creates a BIG disaster. YUCK!

4. Every time we pray, he says "me too" meaning he also wants to pray.

5. This boy LOVES to cook. He is far more interested in cooking than Nadia was at this age or Ian ever has been. No matter what I am cooking or baking, this boy wants to HELP!

6. He moved from a crib to a twin sized bed! It was a  little difficult at first, but now he stays in his bed when I put him down for his nap or at night (almost all the time anyhow). He loves it when all four of us give him a hug and kiss after he's tucked in bed.

7. Oliver loves to sing. The past few months his favorite songs have been "Jingle Bells" and the "Happy Birthday" song. We hear both of these songs MANY times a day.

8. He's finally making the transition from eating with his fingers to using utensils although he hasn't fully given up using his fingers yet.

9. He's not nearly as polite. He needs more reminders to say please and thank you than he did a few months ago, and he has unfortunately learned how to talk with a very rude tone of voice. The three phrases I would love for him to stop saying are "Go away!," "No Fair!." and "Stop It!." Ugh. He also somehow manages to say "No thank you" in a rude manner. The words sound polite, but the tone of voice cancels that out! The other bad habit he needs to break when it comes to talking is his prolific lying. The other two didn't have this issue at this age. Many times a day he tells me that something happened, and it actually didn't happen. I keep telling him that he needs to tell me the truth, but I don't think he comprehends what I mean yet.

10. Over the past month the length of his sentences has greatly increased. For example a few weeks ago he would have just said "shoes on" if he wanted me to help him get his shoes on. Now he would say "Mommy put my shoes on" or something close to that. He his also using a much wider variety of pronouns. Some of his favorite sentences right now are "I can't reach it" (often said when he's trying to get something I actually do not WANT him to be able to reach), "That hard me" (ex an iPad app or a 100 piece puzzle), and "that easy me" (ex. a puzzle he can do). Although he has said the words "cold" and "hot," he almost always uses the word "hot" to describe a temperature, even if he's describing something that's ice cold.

11. He had his second RSV/ asthma hospitalization, and this one included a stay in the PICU due to a collapsed lung. He now is taking Singulair once a day. He calls it "candy medicine." It must taste really good! He also receives the nebulizer when needed, which is more often than not.

12. I had planned on waiting until Oliver was three to let him start using the iPad, but I ended up letting him start use it a little in late December. I am amazed at how at the age of two he can use that thing so well! It was a big blessing during his hospitalization as there wasn't much he could do in that hospital crib. The downside is that we have many tantrums a day over the iPad because he wants to use it more than I will let him, and he also wants his turn to be much longer than I let him. I am sure in time he will handle it better, but it's unpleasant at the moment. I try to keep it hidden during as much of the day as possible. Nadia will have her turn during his nap, for example. His favorite app is a Toca Boca hair styling app that was geared for Christmas. You style a Santa Claus or a Christmas tree (grow the hair, cut it, color it, etc.).

13. The two stories he talks about ALL the time are The three little pigs and Santa Claus. I have NO idea how he became so interested in Santa. We watched the classic show once this December, and he had his picture taken with a few Santas. That's about it. He talks about Santa every day. Ian keeps telling Oliver that Santa isn't real, and I keep telling Ian that Oliver isn't able to distinguish between real and pretend yet. He also talks about the three little pigs and the wolf every day. It reminds me of Nadia and her fixation with Jonah when she was little. It was her favorite story, and yet she was terrified of whales. Oliver is the same way. He keeps saying how the wolf scares him and is always asking if a wolf is in our house, etc. We shall see how long this lasts!

No comments: