Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Insomniac

Can two year olds suffer from insomnia? On Thursday night (technically Friday morning) Oliver was up at least three times between 1-2 am, and he did a similar thing the next night only it happened a little earlier in the night. Saturday and Sunday he slept through the night, but both mornings he woke up having wet the bed. It's hard enough getting up one time to take him to the bathroom during the middle of the night because it takes me a long while to go back to sleep, but it's much harder when I have to get up multiple times. Maybe he has just as much trouble going back to sleep as I do? I don't turn the light on in the bathroom, and I try to do things as quickly as possible to make it easier for him to fall back asleep. The first several nights he woke up to go to the bathroom it was a once and done thing. Last night was the absolute worst. He woke up dry, but honestly I would have rather done a load of laundry this morning of his bedding and gotten more sleep. He was up FIVE times between 2:30-4:30 am. I took him to the bathroom the first time (and he did go), and the other four times I put him right back in bed. Ian also got up one of the first couple of times. After being up for two hours I finally fell back asleep and then Paul (in his sleep) accidentally hit me with his arm, and that woke me up again. Then Ian started coming to our bedroom (more than once) starting at 5:45. All this to say that I got almost no sleep from 2:30 am onward. Thankfully I went to bed at 9:30 last night, but I really prefer a lot more than five hours of sleep!

I cut Oliver off from fluids earlier this evening. The odd thing is that he had been waking up dry in his diaper for more than a week before I switched him to underwear, and hadn't been going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, so I know he *can* sleep through the night and wake up dry. Tonight I plan to be in bed by 9pm to try to get some more sleep. Paul thought it was because Oliver had a 3 hour nap yesterday, but he has taken that long of a nap plenty of other times without it causing him to get up in the middle of the night even once let alone five times. Today he only napped for 80 minutes. I woke up with a pounding headache, but I took a shower first thing and that took away my desire to take some pills for my headache. I hope and pray that someday these boys learn to sleep like their sister does. I actually have to wake her up sometimes because I think she's sleeping in longer than she should. That never happens with the boys!



I have taken several videos of the kids over the past six weeks, but I haven't uploaded any of them from the memory card. This afternoon I took one of Nadia playing one song on the piano. I just started teaching her again a few weeks ago. Oliver is fussing a bit in the background (asking me to take his picture, etc.), but still this shows where Nadia is at right now with her piano skills.

No comments: