Thursday, May 19, 2016

Art Day

In the past we hadn't joined in the homeschooling group's annual Art Days (there are two of them each May) because #1 sometimes we were in Florida when they took place and #2 they have been held at someone's home who lives one hour from our home. But since we were not on vacation, and I had heard such great things about Art Day, I decided we'd participate, and I chose today because tomorrow morning the kids have gym class. The woman who organizes and hosts this event (let me tell you she must put in many, many hours preparing) is moving, and next year she'll only live 25 minutes from our home. Yahoo! It was worth the drive though. We stayed for four hours. I would estimate she had about 30 or 40 stations set up - some in her house and some outdoors. They included a very wide variety of activities for different ages - making masks, henna, working with clay on a pottery wheel, painting, shooting watercolor out of water guns, symmetry, optical illusions, making a Mona Lisa, sidewalk chalk, using bleach on a colored t-shirt, fern pounding on a white t-shirt, origami, and much more. We also enjoyed a potluck lunch together, and the kids also enjoyed their rope swing, hammock, playing with their large chess pieces, climbing a tree, etc. All three kids had a blast. As soon as we got home we changed clothes, and the boys took a bath.

The weather was great for Art day, as it was about 72 degrees and sunny out. Some of the activities were inside, but I didn't take any photos of those because I favor natural light. I hadn't spent much time outside on Tuesday or Wednesday due to painting Nadia's room. I hadn't painted a room since 2004. That was my "art" project for the week. I spackled on Monday and painted her room purple on Tuesday and Wednesday. Nadia and I think it is beautiful! I rearranged her furniture as she wanted a new look for her room. I hung almost everything back on the walls except for the the letters that spelled her name. I've asked Paul to do that. Paul left for work at 3:30 am the last three days. He came home at 6:45 pm on Tuesday, and I asked him to be home by 6:15 pm last night so I could go to choir. He got home at 6:30 this evening but didn't come in the house until 8:00 pm because he was cutting the tree branches of the tree I cut down on Monday to make them small enough and then loading them on his dad's truck. He must be exhausted!
























No comments: