Yesterday I had a case of cabin fever in light of not leaving the house at all on Thursday and also the not so nice weather yesterday (a drop in temps of over 40 degreees). Thankfully it's supposed to get warmer again today. I did take Nadia out for a little bit during Ian's first nap, but otherwise we had been inside all day. So I decided to make a second attempt with the Snugli and head to Walmart and McDonald's. Ian did pretty well at Walmart. He cried for maybe one minute and then fell asleep in the Snugli and didn't wake up until we were in the checkout line. He started to get fussy at McD's, but I had brought him a bottle. He had a total of 6 ounces by bottle yesterday. Nadia ate some fries and about half of her burger. She devoured her entire ice cream cone. My silly girl tried to eat the cone from the bottom up, but I told her she had to eat the ice cream first and then eat the cone. Aside from what dripped onto her bib (thank goodness I remembered to bring it!), she ate her entire cone. That's my girl! I then thought I'd let her play in the playland. I hadn't taken her inside this McD's since 7-24-09. Well she's still too little. The slides are HUGE. I guess you need to be at least 3 years old to really use the playland, but she still had fun running around, and we happened to run into friends of ours while we were there which was a huge added bonus for me as I sorely lack for adult conversation!
I rarely run into any of my colleagues at work since I just come in for the "night shift" two days a week, and I generally don't see anyone aside from Paul and the kids on Thursdays or Fridays. I do get a little adult conversation on Wednesday nights at church. I really don't get to talk to Paul very much either as the time in between when the kids go to bed and I go to bed usually doesn't exceed 15 minutes. The main way I get adult conversation each week is through talking on the cell phone - mostly with my mom and Paul's mom. Since my parents have the same cell phone company, it doesn't cost anything to call them. I take advantage of that! Nadia associates the phone with talking to Grandma. Yesterday morning she went to the kitchen and brought me my cell phone and said "call grandma." So I did call one of her grandmas (my mom that time). The first and third pictures in this post were taken on 7-24 (the day she turned 13 months old). The second picture was taken yesterday (21 months old). We left McD's at about 5:40pm to make sure we'd be home when Paul got home, but I should have called him before we left as she was having fun running around, and I was having fun chatting with Dave & Jenn. We could have stayed longer as Paul didn't get home until almost 7pm.
One thing I have appreciated these past almost 4 months is the helpfulness of strangers. I could give many, many examples, but I'll share just a few. The people at the pizza shop carry out my pizzas for me which is a good thing since usually I'm holding Ian in his car seat with one hand and holding Nadia's hand with my other hand which doesn't leave a hand for holding pizza. On Tuesday even though I had a free hand because Ian was in the Snugli, the cashier at CVS volunteered to carry my purchases out to my car. How nice! Yesterday the cashier at McD's carried our tray of food to our table for me. I had Nadia in a highchair that had wheels and had Ian in the Snugli. At Walmart yesterday someone helped me lift Nadia into the shopping cart. And the list could go on. I am very grateful for the kindness and courtesy that people extend to those who have two little ones. :-)
2 comments:
I'm so relieved that there are such helpful, kind people that are still out there lending a hand. I feel kind of jaded anymore because I feel that good cannot exist outside of God and so much of our Godliness in this country has been lost. Ryan and I have talked about starting to TTC #2 and at times just the thought elicits a certain insecurity in me. If feel like I barely hold things together now as it is with just one AND I'm not working. How could I possibly have another and eventually go back to work!?! I know all things work out but there's natural apprehension. Hearing your stories give me hope that I won't break down in the middle of Walmart and they won't have to take my children and have me committed. Haha. Love the pics! She's getting so big so fast. It's amazing.
People are really helpful and I rarely turn down the help! Except when they ask if they can help load the kids in the car. I figure it would be more work for me to try to explain how everything works!
Post a Comment