Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Song for Ian

Last night at choir rehearsal the choir director told me she had just found out that Ian's dedication was scheduled for April 18. She asked me if I'd like the choir to sing two songs this Sunday. Most Sundays we just sing one anthem. Connie had the choir sing two songs, and she asked me to choose one. They were both really nice for a baby dedication, but I picked "In the Hands of the Lord" by Pepper Choplin. I still left choir early (at 8:05pm) even though I asked Paul to put the kids to bed. I leave for choir at 6:45 so I'm not gone that long, but I think they should both be in bed earlier than 8:15. Last night was Paul's very first time putting Ian to bed, and he did a good job as Ian slept from 8pm to 4:30am. Way to go, Ian! I was glad I left the rehearsal early as even with doing so I still was up for 80 minutes longer than Ian was. Usually I am in bed within 15 to 30 minutes of putting him down.

When I got home from choir I wanted to empty the dishwasher, which had been full of clean dishes for more than 24 hours. I also wanted to empty the sink of dirty dishes, but I saved that for today. The problem with going to MOPS was it meant I couldn't get any housework done as Ian's naps were both in the car. After emptying the dishwasher I pumped 2 ounces and went online to buy a 3 user copy of McAfee 2010 for $69.99. I also printed out rebates for $70 so aside from the postage to mail the rebates, it will be free. Our Norton will expire in the near future so it was good timing, and one of the rebates was only good if I bought the McAfee by April 15.

Yesterday as I was snuggling with Ian outside while Nadia was playing, it hit me that lately I have really been enjoying Ian. There were moments of delight the past 4 months such as when I got to see his beautiful smile, but I have to say even though it seems wrong to admit, I can't say I have been enjoying the overall experience. A colleague at work commented to me on Tuesday that I seemed back to my normal self. The difference has been getting more sleep. For over 3 months I had a splitting headache due to lack of sleep. I am so relieved that the headache has gone away. The stress over his lack of weight gain also didn't help. I know some people really love the newborn stage, but I have to say the fun of parenting for me begins around 4 months old. In Ian's case since many babies are 9lbs or larger at birth or before they turn 1 month old, he's still the size of a newborn baby even if he's 4 months old. If he was born on his due date, he'd be turning 3 months old next week. I'm just glad the "fourth trimester" of this pregnancy is over. I really feel much, much better when I get a decent amount of sleep! Last night Ian slept for almost 10 hours. I didn't sleep much after putting him back down at 5:30, but at least I was in my bed for 8.5 hours.

No comments: