Back when I was trying different tricks to figure out how to get Ian to sleep somewhere besides someone's arms, I learned that he doesn't like his arms to be swaddled BUT if his arms are free then his startle reflex keeps waking him up. Nadia could sleep as long as I swaddled her with her arms free. That didn't work for Ian. He would fight me as I swaddled him, but then he'd sleep better. In early March we took a trip to Maryland, and in preparation for that trip I had him sleep in his snowsuit since he'd be sleeping in that in the car as we drove down. It proved to work out perfectly as he could still move his arms if he wanted to, but the weight of the suit kept his arms from jerking due to the startle reflex. The problem has been that with the weather getting warmer, he's sweating a lot when he's in the snowsuit. A few weeks ago I tried to have him sleep without it, and the results were disastrous. Unfortunately I forgot about that experience and last night put him in bed with a onesie, sleeper, and sleep sack on. I put him down at 7:45, and I was NOT happy when he woke up at 11:30, and I was even more displeased when I found out Paul had to settle him down at 8:30pm! I nursed him a little until he fell asleep and put him back in bed. When he started crying, I decided to let him CIO. Paul set up the pack 'n play, and I put him in it on his back (instead of in the Nap Nanny as I thought if he was going to be crying we might as well work on that transition as well). After one hour of crying I nursed him, put him in his snowsuit, and he slept for 4 hours in his Nap Nanny. He slept about 7.5 hours total last night. I felt badly when I realized that not putting him in the snowsuit was the problem. However he's getting really sweaty with that on!! For his second nap today I had him in a onesie plus snowsuit which was better, but he still got a bit sweaty. I really don't want to use the snowsuit in Florida next month or in PA in the summer! One of my sisters suggested putting a sweater or jacket on him instead and gradually easing up on the layers. Hopefully that will work. He's also still congested (runny nose) so maybe that's the problem. All I know is that I really, really, really hope he starts sleeping better at night. I like it much better when he only wakes up once to nurse (around 3 or 4am) during the night. It wasn't that he was hungry as he had only 1 ounce from a bottle last night and didn't nurse too much. Hopefully I can find a way to ease him out of the snowsuit without the both of us losing so much sleep. Tonight I am going to have him in just a diaper inside the snowsuit.
The good news is that he is still gaining weight at a rapid pace. In exactly one week he gained almost 1.5 lbs (22 ounces!). I had hoped gaining weight would help with his sleeping not make it worse! His general mood has greatly improved with his weight gain. The poor guy was fussy because he was hungry. I am trying not to put myself on a huge guilt trip over that. I don't have to hold him all the time any more. Not that I don't love holding him, but I like holding and playing with Nadia also!
No comments:
Post a Comment