Friday, October 12, 2012

34 Months Old

Two months from today Ian will turn three years old. My mom suggested I should introduce cake to him before then so that maybe there will be a chance he'll eat cake at his birthday for the first time (didn't happen at his first or second birthdays although cake was offered both times). I need to figure a way to make a cake for him that doesn't contain any egg or milk products, and I agree I need to offer it to him long before December 12. If it turns out he doesn't like cake, we can give the birthday boy cookies as he certainly loves those! His favorite foods right now are toast (Italian bread with jelly on it), cookies, Ritz crackers, chocolate animal crackers, dry cereal, applesauce, and coconut milk yogurt. He also has been eating (not by choice) bananas, grapes, pears, peaches, cream of wheat, bologna, hot dogs, peas, carrots, creamed corn, and green beans. He has been drinking water and Elecare in adult size cups. He still could stand a lot of improvement with his ability to use a spoon (so messy!), and he really fights me on feeding himself. Meals would involve a LOT less crying, fussing, and screaming if I just fed him everything myself.

He's been waking up dry on average 5 out of 7 days, and he's had 2 poopy diapers over the past 3 weeks. Using 2 diapers a week isn't bad. I guess for now we'll take this slow approach to night-time training for Ian. It helps that he's eating more solid food and drinking less EleCare. He's definitely put on weight over the past few months. I no longer need to worry about him not weighing enough. He's been healthier than Nadia over the past few weeks, but still he has had reason to learn how to "cough in your elbow." He really likes his privacy when he goes to the bathroom, and when he has to go #2 he sits on the potty for a LONG time (for some reason he wants to sit there for a long time after he's done pooping). He's still not very happy about having his hair brushed, nails clipped, face washed, or hair cut.

We are working on teaching Ian to be obedient. He is by nature far less compliant than Nadia. Sometimes we feel like he's getting punished All The Time. It's not fun for Paul or I. We never experienced this with Nadia. I'm not sure if it's a difference between girls/boys or just a personality difference. Some specifics we are working with him are to #1 do what we ask him to do right away (his tendency is to totally ignore us when we ask him to do something), #2 not to cry/scream/fuss during meals, #3 not to hit or push Nadia, and #4 not to grab things from Nadia.

Ian has a very sweet nature. He absolutely adores Oliver. Ian still loves to snuggle although I've definitely noticed a change in him in that regard due to my extended absence this summer. Thankfully he still asks me every day for some affection. Today he said, "Mommy will you sit in the pink chair with me and snuggle?" Of course!!!! Other times he'll say, "Mommy, I need a hug." And he's definitely still in the stage of thinking that a kiss will cure any ailment. I dread the day when my kids no longer want kisses for their boo boos!!!

He usually asks me to read one of the "How does a dinousaur" books before his nap. His naps are often 1-2 hours long. His attention span for listening to books has dramatically increased. He can now sit through even a 90+ page book in one sitting. He still is prone to making big messes, but actually I have noticed some improvement in that regard. Lately I've required him to clean up (or at least help clean up) the messes he makes. He absolutely loves to tackle Daddy. A quilt my former handbell choir director gave me when I was pregnant with Nadia is something he uses  when he's rough housing with Daddy. He LOVES that blanket for whatever reason. In his bed he sometimes sleeps with his head on the pillow, but many times he sleeps with his head facing toward the foot of the bed. He almost always has a few toys in his hands, and I do mean ALL the time. Lately those have usually been trains from his train table. Tigger (from Winnie the Pooh), Ariel, and Eric (from The Little Mermaid) are his favorite little figurines, and he often has one of those in his hands as well. He loves bubble baths. He'd take one every day if I let him although I have to remind him many times not to splash so much as otherwise all the water ends up on the floor rather than in the bathtub. His favorite thing to do at the playground is to go on the swings, particularly if I walk in front of the kids so they can kick me (my dad used to do that with myself and my siblings when we were little). His favorite two tv shows right now are "Super Why" and "Backyardigans." He loves anything that involves pirates!

He really enjoys singing. I am impressed with his ability to sing on pitch and to remember the lyrics to many, many songs. I need to record a video of him singing some songs! He and Nadia love to chase each other around the house. Much laughter ensues! Sometimes when I am working with Nadia on something and she is stumped, he will jump in and assist her. Recently I was working with her on counting. She was stuck at 22. He said 23. She again had a long pause, which led him to say 24. I haven't started working with him on memory verses although I started with Nadia when she was younger than he is now. I need to start doing that with him! He has gotten much friendlier and more outgoing over the past few months. It was no problem whatsoever for me to leave him at Sheri's house this morning when I took Nadia and Oliver to the doctor.

He's wearing size 3T pajamas, shirts, and sweaters. He's wearing size 24m/2T pants. The waist has to be narrow or adjustable. He's wearing size 7 or 7.5 shoes. His favorite shoes right now are a pair of size 7.5 Buzz Lightyear sneakers. His favorite shirts feature either Lightning McQueen or Thomas the Train.

1 comment:

TylerandBrianne said...

I bet you could find a good cake recipe online. Wyatt would eat just chips and cookies if we would let hm. :) You gotta love feeding problems!