Yesterday I took all three kids grocery shopping with me for the first time. Over the last few weeks I've gone shopping when Paul was home (evening or weekend) and have only taken one or two kids with me. We left shortly after Oliver fell asleep and this venture was short enough that he slept until we returned home. Many times he wakes up when I put him back in the car bed and screams the whole way home. It's heartbreaking to hear him cry so I was very glad that he didn't wake up until I took him out of the car bed to go back in our house. The trip went smoothly, but that was only due to the intervention of a "good Samaritan." After parking the van, I went and got a shopping cart and brought it back to the van. I put Ian in the front of the cart and pushed the cart up against the van. Nadia climbed out and was standing right beside the cart. I told her to stay right there. Then I went in the back row of the minivan (I really dislike climbing back there) and got Oliver. I was sitting in Nadia's booster seat (middle row) putting Oliver in the Weego when I saw the shopping cart start to move. I screamed and wanted to jump out of the van to stop it, but I hadn't moved Oliver's oxygen yet. I had to go in the back seat to grab his oxygen (since he was attached to it) before I could exit the van. At that point the shopping cart had traveled too far (the parking lot is not level so they were gaining speed going a little bit downhill) for me to be able to catch up with it. Thankfully another woman who was putting groceries into her car near us saw Nadia and Ian careening through the parking lot and ran and caught their cart. They enjoyed their ride. I thought it was going to be a very expensive grocery trip if I had to pay the damages our cart did to whatever vehicle the cart collided with. I was ever so grateful for this woman's help. What happened was Nadia had climbed on the front of the cart (was standing on it) and that was what caused the cart to move. Now I know to put Oliver in the Weego first and then go get the shopping cart. The reason I did it the other way around was because it's challenging for me to lift Ian up while Oliver is in the Weego.
As I think you can tell, I love being a mom. One of the more challenging things about motherhood is that you don't get any sick days. I had a fever yesterday and ached All Over. As the day went on my fever went higher to the point I had the chills. It was challening to take care of three little ones with a fever, splitting headache, etc. To top it off, Paul left before the kids got up and he got home after they were in bed. I was on my own with them for 14 hours. I went to bed at 8pm under a blanket, comforter, sheet, and quilt. My fever broke sometime during the night.
This week one of the things I worked on teaching Nadia was the Pledge. I'll post a video of her saying it this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment