Thursday, October 11, 2012

OT times two

Ian's occupational therapy appointments take place in our home on Thursdays. Supposedly they are to start at 11:45. I say supposedly because she's usually about 30 minutes late. Those will be ending soon because you outgrow the program when you turn 3 years old. Oliver had one OT screening in the NICU. This morning at 10:00 Oliver had his first follow-up OT appointment at the hospital. She saw some improvements with him since that time. She said he is right on target for his corrected age (1 week old). Since he's been home for 5 weeks, to me it feels as if he's 5 weeks rather than 9 weeks old. She said he hasn't reached the typical 2 week old accomplishments much less 2 months old, but she said that they only judge him by his corrected age, which would be 8 days old. His next appointment will be in 2-3 months. She's not expecting that he will qualify for services in the home. That would be awesome! Her suggestions for me were to help him with his head control, eye contact, and hands together at midline.

On the way to his appointment, I dropped Ian and Nadia off at Sheri's house (friend from church). The kids were having so much fun that they didn't want to leave when I came back to pick them up on my way home. She's also going to watch Ian tomorrow morning when I take Nadia and Oliver for their 4 year/ 2 month check-ups. I am very grateful for her assistance! Another happy moment today was when Nadia learned how to buckle her own seatbelt. Woohoo!

The other thing that encouraged me today was that Paul (completely of his own initiative) decided to expand his radius a little regarding his job search. One of the tenure track positions (in VA) starts in January!!!! Wow!!! Another position (in WV) starts as a visiting professor position in January and is then a tenure track opening in the fall. I was very discouraged last Friday when he didn't meet the deadline for his first application, especially as he thought that was where he had the best chance of success (of the first three he had decided to apply to). Up until today he hadn't spoken of applying for any positions that would start in January. At the moment I think he's planning to apply for 3 positions in PA, 1 in NY, 1 in WV, 1 in VA, and possibly 1 in RI. In terms of the weather, VA sounds the most appealing to me, but we shall see where we end up.

No comments: