Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Six Pounds!

Today Oliver turned 11 weeks old, and sometime over the past four days he surpassed Nadia and Ian's birth weights as this morning he weighed 6lb 3.5oz. I was thrilled as it meant he had gained 6.5 ounces in 4 days! He should be able to double his birth weight by 4 months old. He definitely can now roll from his belly to his back. He repeated that skill several times yesterday. He takes after his big sister and does NOT like to be in the car seat. Paul was able to set it up so all three kids are in the middle row of the van, which is awesome because it means I don't have to climb back to the back row. Regina, it's a struggle just to get Ian to climb up into his car seat on his own. He shows no interest in learning how to do any part of the buckling process himself yet. I'm grateful that Nadia does her own seatbelt now. The kids went between trying to console Oliver to being annoyed and speaking sternly to him about the fact that he needed to stop crying.




For the first 10 weeks, Oliver was a pretty easy going baby. That has not been the case the past few days. At first he just was cranky in the evenings. His need to be held All The Time when he is awake has also increased lately. Sunday night I couldn't get him down until 11:00pm. Last night I kept trying to get him down until 12:30am. I threw in the towel and tried to go to sleep holding him. Usually that will work, but he still didn't even sleep that well in my arms. I had to keep patting him periodically. Then at 2:30 I fed him again. At 3:30 I tried to have him nurse in bed and usually that works. Nope. If Paul hadn't come to my rescue around 6am, I would have gotten about one hour of sleep total. He took over at 6am, and he was able to get Oliver to sleep in his crib for about an hour. When Paul took over I was so exhausted that I felt I couldn't even pat Oliver's back. I was dizzy and nauseous. I still didn't feel great when I got up because I had gotten less than 3 hours of sleep the entire night.
Although he struggled to sleep in his crib on Sunday night, he had no trouble sleeping in his crib during the day on Monday. His naps were almost exactly 2 hours long on Monday. Unfortunately the sleeping difficulties continued today. This little boy has been awake for an absurd amount of hours over the past 24 hours. I got him to take a one hour nap in his crib from 1-2pm today. My exhaustion plus his fussiness and wakefulness meant I let Nadia and Ian watch more tv than usual. When Paul left this morning, he said he wasn't coming back home until Thursday night so I am really hoping and praying that I get a couple of 2-3 hour stretches of sleep tonight. I am so glad I'm not a single parent and that Paul isn't in the military. My hat is off to those women whose husbands are frequently gone for extended periods of time. It was hard to get anything accomplished with holding Oliver all the time. This evening I put him in the Weego. He cried at first but then took a brief nap (less than 30 minutes) in the Weego, which enabled me to switch a load from the washer to the dryer and empty the dishwasher. Ironically the load in the washer had JUST finished when Ian came in totally drenched from head to toe. I do not know how he got so wet and dirty outside, but I had to take him up for a quick bath and change of clothes before taking Nadia to ballet.
 
I found out today that the insurance has recently paid $49 for the 3 hour glucose test that I had in March. I called the OB office today, and they haven't written a letter yet. I'm praying they will as it could save us $2,900. I hate being a nag, but for that amount of money, I will do so. As you can see from the first picture in this post, Ian had some more cake this evening. He loved it! Yay! Knowing cake was for dessert helped him eat an entire banana for dinner.

No comments: