Tuesday, January 3, 2017

47

When Paul and I met, he had recently turned 27 years old. Today he turned 47. And right now our boys are 4 and 7 years old. In the early years of our marriage we used to go over to his parents' house on his birthday and Millie would make him a birthday cake. We used to get together for each person's birthday, but the past eight years we've typically only gotten together for the kids' birthdays. Over the last eight years I've made him a variety of treats for his birthday but never a cake. I've made him vanilla cheesecake, vanilla fudge, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, cheese danish, etc. Today Oliver and I made him white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. A few years ago we started the tradition of getting six donuts for every birthday - one donut for four of us and the birthday boy or girl gets two donuts. I meant to get the donuts yesterday on the way home from Sears, but I forgot. So today we got them on the way home from the library. In past years Paul ate breakfast with us, but not any more (except occasionally on a Sunday). The last several years he's had his birthday dinner at a restaurant two miles from our
house that gives you a free meal on your birthday (even a steak dinner!). Paul used to take Nadia or Ian with him, but with his work schedule at the plant that won't be possible unless his birthday falls on a Saturday or Sunday. Last year he didn't go because the kids and I were in Maryland. It was the last time the kids saw my mom until June. None of us were around for his birthday last year. This year we were around but didn't see much of the birthday boy, as he left for work before we got up and didn't get home until 7:35 pm. I made him one of his favorite meals - rigatoni with meatballs, but as usual these days he ate the meal by himself. Thankfully my stomach was doing better today which was a blessing because the smell of food was torturous the past two days. Unfortunately Nadia threw up part way through dinner so she hasn't totally gotten over the bug. I went to bed at 8:00 last night, but I think tonight I can stay up to a more normal bedtime. I got 23 hours of sleep over the past two nights!


No comments: