Saturday, January 21, 2017

They both scored!

Although Paul always leaves for work before the rest of us get up in the morning, he has been going in later than he did for the first six months. However this morning he got up earlier than usual because he wanted to come to the kids' basketball games. I was surprised when he got home at 9:30 because it meant he had spent two hours on the road so he could spend three hours at work. I really wasn't expecting him to come to the games today since he came last week. The past three years he had gone to all of their basketball games, but since he missed almost all of the soccer games this fall, I assumed he'd probably only come to their basketball games once or twice this season. I am not sure how many Saturdays he will choose to come to their games this year, but he picked a good day to come because both Nadia and Ian score a basket! Ian's game was at 10:00. He played three of the six periods, and he was wearing the color tag that identified him as the weakest player. He dribbled the ball some in every period that he played, and he made several attempts at baskets, but during the last period that he played he scored his first basket. I managed to get a picture of it!

Nadia's game was at 2:00. She played four of the six periods and also wore the weakest color tag, which is a different color because they play four on four whereas they only play three on three in the K/1st games. Nadia didn't touch the ball as much as Ian did, but she did dribble some. Her two big highlights were that she stole the ball once, and she also got a basket! In her case I was so caught up in the moment that I forgot to take a picture. Bummer. She attempted a basket for the first time that game and missed but got the rebound, and then she made the basket on her second attempt. Paul and I were screaming! They supposedly keep score in the 2nd/3rd grade games, but the truth is that they limit the gap between the two scores. If one team gets too far ahead then they don't add any points to that team's score until the other team catches up a little. The truth was that Nadia's team scored 64 points, but the score board gave them credit for about half of that because the other team scored less than 30 points. Grandpa is planning to come next Saturday, and Paul's parents are planning to come on February 4. Hopefully the kids will make another basket when their grandparents are there to cheer them on! I used my 85mm lens today. I am definitely using that one more than I ever did with my old camera body. My 50mm lens rarely left my old camera. The lighting in the gym is less than desirable to be sure, but I am going to try to keep working to figure out the best settings to use for aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. My new camera definitely handles higher ISOs better than my old one did. By the time Oliver starts playing basketball I should have improved my skills.





No comments: