Saturday, April 24, 2010

22 Months Old

Twenty-two of my favorite things she says; I either find these to be humorous, endearing, or both.

1. hug you
2. help you
3. hold you (in each of these three instances she means "me" not "you")
4. see ya (her favorite thing to say this week)
5. booboo kiss it (which I do until she says "all better")
6. Nadia cook Mommy (she needs to learn the word "for" LOL)
7. again (when she says it after prayer time - she wants me to pray again and again and again before bed)
8. tickle (when she's asking me to tickle her)
9. please
10. thank you
11. (you're) welcome
12. chocolate (since she shares a love of it, but I also find it amusing that she calls her sidewalk chalk "chocolate." Even though she only had chocolate milk once, she periodically asks me for chocolate milk when I give her a sippy cup of milk)
13. level (Paul tries to teach her some really difficult words. Once when he was pushing her on the swing I overheard him trying to teach her potential and kinetic energy. He has actually succeeded at teaching her the word level. She says it when she's trying to carry a plate or tray without the items falling off of it.)
14. coupon (I didn't expect this one!)
15. receipt (I didn't expect this one either!)
16. Nadia (when she uses her name to mean "let me do it")
17. I share (means "share with me")
18. over (she says this when she sees credits at the end of a tv show - she figured out on her own that this signals the end of a DVD or tv show)
19. oh no! (such as before she knocks over a tower of blocks)
20. nose (this is very helpful as it's her way of letting me know when I need to wipe her nose with a tissue)
21. good girl (when she announces this after obeying an instruction I've just given her)
22. hey mom (I knew she'd switch from Mommy to Mom at some point, but I didn't predict that to happen at  21 months old, LOL)

Over three hundred of the words in her expressive vocabulary:

Nature related: dog, cat, mice, turtle, owl, cow, tiger, penguin, barn, horse, goat, pig, bunny, frog, star, moon, monkey, flower, knee, elbow, eye, belly, toes, hand, lap, bear, chicken, nose, grass, snow, fish, parrot, ladybug, bee, earth, duck, seal, ear, hair, mouse, teeth, alligator, sheep, polar bear, butterfly, elephant, dirt, leaves, thumb, mulch, rock, buffalo, dragon, stick

Proper nouns: Mommy, Daddy, Ian, PopPop, Grandma, Abby, Grandpa, Lane, Bob, Larry, (Mr.) Lunt, Elmo, Nadia, Junior (Asparagus), Gabby, Sarah, (Madame) Blueberry, (Mr.) Jiggle, Shawn, Laura, George, Clifford, Jericho, Tylenol, Alexis, Brandi, Susie, Jesus

Food related: spoon, lunch, dinner, bagel, hotdog, ice cream, milk, cookie, (Capt.) Crunch, oatmeal, banana, yogurt, cheese, water, pretzel, bottle, apple, pizza, chocolate, cracker, bite, hungry, grapes, raisin, more, done, napkin, jelly, peas, egg, bib, tomato, hamburger, pickle, kitchen, Kix, mess, ice, noodle, (Golden) Grahams, pears, carrot, counter, mug, fries, ketchup, juice, (English) muffin, soup, cereal, chip, fork, lollipop
Verbs and Adverbs: rip, push, tickle, pop, watch, sweep, hug, back, flip, poop, pee, rock, go, open, color, swing, read, play, eat, thank, share, watch, running, see, kiss, digging, bowling, want, dance, don't, again, make, coming, drink, bite, sure (as in "yes")

Adjectives: blue, yucky, big, wet, good, all, clean, hot, this, that, yummy, stuck, pink, two, three, the, silly, green, purple, yellow, four, blue, cold, one, four, five. six, seven, eight, nine, ten, funny, bad, tired, Mommy's, Nadia's, level, (you're) welcome, over (as in "finished")

Common nouns: book, puzzle, button, upstairs, cd, remote, tv, diaper, ball, blanket, girl, airplane, crayon, hat, shoes, sock, house, wall, tissue, balloon, jeans, church, brush, baby, light, basketball, touchdown, oval, bath, computer, phone, doctor, pump, sticker, car, boat, gym, pieces, princess, bed, there, stairs, boy, song, engine, slide, picture, belt, beads, purse, morning, bag, receipt, piano, dress, pants, bubble, sink, jacket, stethoscope, shovel, shirt, pants, dress, kite, keys, (sand)box, booboo, magazine, coupon, chair, nap

Prepositions: up, down, off, on, out, under, in

Pronouns: I, me, you, it

Miscellaneous: uh oh, oops, hi, hello, bye bye, please, night night, yes, no, ah choo, yeah, okay, peekaboo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL I stopped keeping track of my kids' vocabulary when they had more than about 60 or 70 words. You could submit your data on her vocabulary to folks who study vocab development! :) I enjoyed reading your list of 22 endearing/funny things she says. Very cute. Looking forward to seeing her (and you all) soon. :)