Some moms sleep with their child's blanket so that the child will be comforted with their mom's smell. I've even seen pictures of a child sleeping with her mom's shirt for the same reason. I would like to do the same but in reverse. I want to be able to hold something up to my nose that has Ian's head smell on it. I am not sure if it is a difference between boys and girls or if I just wasn't as observant with Nadia, but I've been keenly aware of Ian's unique head smell whereas I don't recall noticing Nadia's. I am 100% positive that if you blindfolded me and put my arms behind my back that just by using my nose I could identify Ian if you had me smell the heads of several babies. With Nadia I remember enjoying smelling her head after I'd given her a bath. I love the smell of baby bath and baby shampoo, but this is different. This is Ian's smell. Is this strange that I find his head smell so distinct and didn't notice it with Nadia? When is this going to disappear? I have enjoyed it the last few months and when I go to bed I can still smell it on my clothes. I'm sure it won't last forever which is why I wish I could bottle it up so that I could have a walk down memory lane in the future and smell this precious smell again. We can take pictures to capture visual memories or take videos to capture auditory and visual ones. They need to come up with a way to capture olfactory ones that are more permanent as the smell that is transferred to an article of clothing or a blanket doesn't last very long.
I knew I felt lousy yesterday, and that was confirmed when I took my temp and it was over 100 degrees. Why is it that a temperature makes the fact that we feel sick seem more legitimate? Ian also had a fever, but I resisted in giving him Tylenol in light of the recent studies saying it's best not to give Tylenol after an immunization. I just gave him lots of Mommy love, and that was enough for him. Nadia's nose is really sore from it being wiped so many times the last several days. Ian's nose has been running since Monday so we're going through a lot of Kleenex in this house. Paul has been the only one to escape this bug. For me the chief complaints have been headache (behind my eyes), fever, and sore throat. I think the runny nose is just allergies in my case. It really hurts when I swallow. A nice at least 8 hour stretch of sleep would have really been appreciated, but it hasn't happened the last few nights. Last night I was up with Ian from 2:20-3:25 and then again at 4:55am. Since I put him to bed early (7:30pm) he did sleep a little more than 8 hours total, which was an improvement although definitely not his best night. Thankfully I went to bed at 7:45 last night. I had zero temptation to go to choir rehearsal with such a sore throat.
Even though we weren't feeling well, we couldn't stay inside on such a pretty day. It got up into the low 70's yesterday. We took a walk, spent time in the backyard, went to the playground that is 1/2 mile from our house, and also went to the hardware and pizza stores.
1 comment:
You are a master at working the coupons. I'm amazed!
When Henry was first born and we were still in the hospital, I remember waking up in a total panic in the middle of the night because I thought I had fallen asleep with him still in the bed. I was actually snuggled up to a pillow that smelled just like him. I had never smelled anything so delicious in my life. When Holly was born I was looking forward to reveling in that kind of scent again, but either it was washed off soon after she was born (*sob* if that's the case) or it just wasn't as powerful on her.
Post a Comment