Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Back to normal

Yesterday felt like a normal day except #1 I couldn't call my mom like I usually have the past 10+ years and #2 Nadia wasn't with us. Paul left for work before 3:30 am and got home around 7:00 pm, which has been the norm for him the past two months. He told me he slept more than 12 hours straight on Saturday night, which I am sure his body greatly appreciated. He drove for almost 8 hours total on Saturday to come to Maryland and also take Nadia to camp. He had planned to go to work on Sunday as he had on July 3 and 10, but he stayed home on the 17th to get some much needed rest. I was really worried that my day might start way too early because Oliver fell asleep almost as soon as we got in the car at 5:30 pm on Sunday night. I just assumed he would take a nap, but he slept the whole way home. When we arrived home at 9:00 pm, Paul took him to the bathroom, changed him into pajamas, and brushed his teeth. He went right back to sleep and slept until 6:50, which means he got more than 13 hours of sleep on Sunday night. I was very relieved that he didn't want to start his day at 4:00 am or something like that as usually he doesn't go to bed until 8:00 (and with VBS he has been going to bed as late as 9:00 many nights).

The boys and I first went to the library, then to swimming lessons (9:45-10:15), and then to the Lycoming Fair. It was Oliver's very first swimming lesson (preschool level). He was one of two kids in the class (both boys). He did pretty well although at one point he wandered off and tried to join Ian's (level 2) class, and at the end he had enough and got out of the pool a couple of minutes before the lesson was supposed to be over. Hopefully both boys will make progress this week in their swimming skills. I had planned for the five of us to go to the Lycoming Fair on Saturday, but when I found out it would be free on Monday thanks to a charitable organization, I changed our plans. We paid $2 for parking, $1 for two bottles of water, $1 for carrots to feed the animals in the petting zoo, an $1 for a hot dog which means our four hour adventure cost us a grand total of $5. First we walked through the buildings containing the rabbits, pigs, cows, horses, goats, etc. and also visited the petting zoo (which is also where they have camel rides but we passed on those this year). The kids enjoyed petting a 5 month old baby kangaroo. The rest of the time they rode rides except for 30 minutes when we had to take a break and wait for it to stop raining. Oliver kept asking to ride "just one more ride." After running a few errands (boys slept some in the van) and eating pizza for dinner at home, I took them to VBS. This will be their last week of VBS this summer. By Friday the boys should have done 12 total nights of VBS, and Nadia did 8 nights of VBS this year.

It was my first time taking the kids to the fair without Paul, but we managed pretty well. Some rides that they both needed an adult to ride with them I was able to ride with both of them at the same time. Once I found an older child who could ride the bumper cars with Ian while I rode with Oliver because both needed a "responsible person," and you can't have three people in one bumper car. Similarly, only two can ride together on the Ferris wheel. Ian graciously offered to sit on a bench beside the ride and wait while Oliver and I rode the ride together. I was willing to leave a 6 1/2 year old by himself for a few minutes (we waved every time we went past him on our way back down), but there was no way I would have done that with Oliver (almost 4). Ian is far more obedient for one thing! I didn't mention yesterday all the messes that Oliver got into at my dad's house. Let me tell you that it's better if Oliver and Joel play together. When Oliver and Julianna (2 three year olds) play together - some large mess is likely to be created. Joel, Ian, and Nathan went to Chuck E Cheese on Sunday afternoon with one of Yvonne's friends, so
Oliver couldn't play with Joel that day. On Saturday Oliver and Julianna spread toothpaste all over the carpet, etc. On Sunday they displaced a LOT of water from the half-bathroom sink (they were both totally drenched as well as the hand towels, floor rug, etc.). Then later on Sunday they decided to spread suntan lotion all over their hands, clothes, hair, and also on Uncle Maurice while he was sleeping on the couch. Let me tell you that it is NOT easy to get sunscreen out of hair. What a mess. I know this too shall pass. They will mature and not get into these messes. 18 months ago when the two were together our primary concern was whether or not Julianna would be pulling Oliver's hair. That is definitely already a thing of the past. Now we just need to learn not to make big messes.

Joe went back to Turkey yesterday. Please pray for his safety over there and that he will be able to come back to the US on the 29th..

Nadia with her counselor (Alysssa) and cabin mates!

All of the girls attending Camp Susque this week! (Nadia is on the front row)








No comments: